Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hawthorn mine and Malins film

willy

it is agreed that the Hawthorn mine was blown at 0720, and not at 0730 as planned? or was it planned to be blown at 0720? if it should have been blown at 0730, why was malins filming the scene some 10 minutes before, given that he would have been using 10 minutes atleast of valuable film?

it is agreed that the Hawthorn mine was blown at 0720, and not at 0730 as planned? or was it planned to be blown at 0720? if it should have been blown at 0730, why was malins filming the scene some 10 minutes before, given that he would have been using 10 minutes atleast of valuable film?

A long story; original idea was four hours before zero; vetoed on the grounds that Brits not good at occupying a crater (compared to Germans); then it was thought that zero would be the right time; Fourth Army then said between zero and eight minutes before zero; finally VIII Corps suggested ten minutes before zero, which was approved by GHQ [see OH Vol 1, pp 429-430]. There were reasons for the approval. Artillery barrage arrangements were also somewhat problematic.

Just as an aside, there is an interesting article in this months Stand To about Malins film and when/where some of the most infamous scenes, such as the men going over the top, were filmed. Its excerpted from a book that is coming out on the movie. Part of thresearch on different aspects has been shown on tv with regard to the lip reading and computer facial recognition software. Its a very interesting approach to the film.

Jon