Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

McCudden

Jonathan Saunders

As I recall William (Bill) was assigned to the 3 Sqn "land" Transport in August 1914 - there being more pilots than aeroplanes at this stage. His younger brother Jimmy had more opportunities to fly as an Observer than Bill had to fly as a pilot during his time with 3 Sqn in F&F.

That would fit with what I read initially there were 7 officers and 4 sergeants (there is no indication which were pilots) in William's flight but only about 12 machines for the whole squadron when it went to France, but this increased to 30 planes within days. The first reconnaissance flights were 19th August and 1st combat mentioned was on 24th August 1914 involving Lt Harvey Kelly; "on 26th Germans were constantly passing over our lines, and great efforts were made to counteract, and destroy them.” That time the names of the pilots are not mentioned. Consistantly sorties are mentioned, but rarely individual pilots, but it would seem all were actively engaged.

Bill's grave (Posting it for Jon, whose picture it is)

post-18928-1183028834.jpg

Bill's grave (Posting it for Jon, whose picture it is)

Many thanks for adding thsi Freddy. As I recall each of the fours sides has an inscription - as well as Bill McCudden, there was his father William who is also buried in the same grave. Then commemorations to Jimmy and John and their brother-in-law Arthur Spears, and I think the youngest brother Maurice's name was added. Perhaps Mike Jones could clarify.

Regards,

Jon

Hi All Pals,

Yes Maurice gets a mention, just under Arthur Scott Spears. It says

"Maurice Vincent McCudden

Late RAF

Last son of Mrs. A. McCudden and the late W. H. McCudden

Who died 13th December 1934

Regards Mike