Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tank Corps Service Numbers

Bob Chandler

Can anyone tell me whether it is possible to tell roughly when someone joined the Tank Corps from their service number? Trying to find out a bit more about my relative Private Reginald HUNTLEY s/n 69422. Born 1897. No further information which would help on Medal Index Card as far as I can see.

I suppose it would be too much to hope for that the number could also tell me where he is likely to have served, etc..

Any help much appreciated.

Regards,

Charles

Charles

It is not easy from the number. Some of the early tankers were given 200,000 numbers. The 60,000 was an early number so I would have thought he would have joined somewhere between Dec 1916-Dec 1917 with this series.

I will look at my schedule to see if I have any info on this soldier.

Do you have his medals and what did he get?

Simon

Thanks very much for your help Simon.

I don’t have any medals I’m afraid, his card shows he was entitled to the Victory and British War medals only.

Regards,

Charles

Charles

Huntley is on my list and I can confirm he was in the 6th Tank Battalion.

Cant say exactly when he joined up but this may give you enough info to approach the tank museum for ruther info.

Simon

• 4 years later...

Hello,

I have the same problem as the original poster in that I have no idea which battalion my Great-Uncle served with. I only have the information from the medal card that shows he was entitled to the Victory and British War medals. His was Private John Percival Stuart Woodsell no. 97055 and I believe he joined around the end of 1916, aged 18. Would he have originally been in a Heavy Machine Gun regiment as I understand the Tank Corps didn't come into being until 1917? If anyone is able to tell me which battalion he served with I would be grateful. Thank you, Karen.

Hello Karen

Welcome to the website

I have checked the War History of 6th Battalion but he is not listed.

He was born 26 Dec 1898 - he may have served before he was 18 but should have not have deployed to France until 1917.

I will see what I can find in other records

Thank you Stephen and that would be great! I must say, this forum is really informative. I've learned such a lot about WW1 reading around the posts. Karen

Hello Karen

Sorry nothing so far found.

I suggest you contact 17tankman and see if he has any records

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gazza

Sorry I can't help or I would have replied earlier.

The number would indicate he joined in late 1917 but his medal index card gives no details.

Do you have any clues which migth assist us,