Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zeppelin Raid, Ramsgate

HERITAGE PLUS

It is my understanding that the Bull and George Pub in High Street, Ramsgate was destroyed, with a number of people inside killed, in a Zepplin Raid on the town. The pub was never rebuilt and Woolworths built a shop on ths site.

I would appreciate any details on the raid which may have been in 1916(?).

Thank

Dave

Dave

A quick check of my "go to" book - The "Baby Killers" German Air Raids on Britain in the First World War by Thomas Fegan - confirms that the in the early hours of 17 May 1915 Hauptmann Erich Linnarz's LZ38 dropped some 20 bombs on Ramsgate. One struck the Bull and George Hotel in the High Street, where it penetrated several floors and exploded on the first floor. The building was gutted and two of those injured inside later died of their wounds.

There is a nice photo of the Bull and George in the book and I have a postcard in my collection too. I have previously been informed (not sure where from) that the Bull and George became a Woolworths (what is it now, I wonder?)

Ramsage suffered a number of Zeppelin and Gotha raids during the war. Fegan states that the combined tally of air raids and naval bombardments was 119. No wonder the population of the town halved!

Regards

David

David

Many thanks for the information. Its just what I was looking for.

Dave