Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"The Real Goldfinger - Revealed"

Brian Curragh

As this is on Five, the quality may not be guaranteed - but might be worth a look.

Programme description:

"Historical documentary series. New research indicates that the audacious plot to rob Fort Knox in the James Bond story 'Goldfinger' may have been based on real-life events. In 1914, the fledgling British secret service worked to foil an attack on the Bank of England, masterminded by an influential German spymaster."

Brian

PS - link to the production company's webpage - Lion Television and an article in yesterday's Times - Kaiser's Spymaster. The subject of the documentary is Gustav Steinhauer.

I noticed this in the listings for today. Looks interesting.

Anyone know Gustav Steinhauer history? I understand that he was in the German navy but I cannot find much else about the man.

Mmmm - 5% information, 5% Bond origin speculation & 90% repetition and padding - very disappointing.

Brian

Mmmm - 5% information, 5% Bond origin speculation & 90% repetition and padding - very disappointing.

I think you've hit the nail that is a description of a C5 documentary squarely on the head. Equally applicable to any C4/More 4/E4 doco that claims to be the 'secret/hidden/unknown' history of oh, well, anything actually.

What complete tosh.

Far as I can make out, there was no evidence presented to support the theory that the Germans were planning to blow up the Bank of England or, indeed, any other plot against it.

That there were German spies in Britain prior to the war is a given. But, even here, there were doubts cast on the list of 20+ names "captured".

John