Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

In perpetutiy

healdav

I don't want to start worrying people too much, but perhaps the CWGC might like to comment on this info which I hve just received from a friend who is usually very well clued up about these things..

"A big uncertainty hangs over the Somme. The French consider In Perpetuity to be 100 years. The current French prefect sent his sous-prefect to lay the first bouquet at Lochnagar, Thiepval and Ulster Tower. That honour is generally reserved for a British wreath to the fallen. French troops weren’t on the Somme on 1 July 1916. And they cordoned off a large part of the small Lochnagar car park for the two official French cars that materialised. I hope the CWGC is studying the documents of 90+ years ago to be able to guarantee some security for all the British Great War cemeteries in France".

"French troops weren’t on the Somme on 1 July 1916."

Sorry?

This is an old story; I remember reading a Sun or a Star story on this in the 80s. It doesn't apply to CWGC sites.

This particular subject was being bandied around the WFA several years ago. Scare stories abounded because of it , and it all came to nought. Units of the the French 10th Army were engaged some what.

TR

I did write a bit about this but deleted it bacause I can't be bothered to comment.

There is also a rumour being spread by people (person) who should know better about plans to plough in the cemeteries at Hawthorn Ridge and Redan Ridge, bacause no one is actually really buried there. I am so glad I don't sit at some of those evening dinner tables.

I'd actually started to doubt myself there.

"Were they there? Did they turn up on the 2nd, 3rd 4th July?"

No. Of course the French were there.

I'd actually started to doubt myself there.

"Were they there? Did they turn up on the 2nd, 3rd 4th July?"

No. Of course the French were there.

I suppose it is quite easy for some to lose the 200,000 plus French casualties during the Somme 1916 battle. Mind boggling!