Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

IN FROM THE COLD - Essex

Patesian

John Sheldrake of Chadwell Heath, Essex, joined the 3/Essex Regt on 24/2/1916. He was given the number 26637

On 11/5/1916, he was transferred to the MGC, number 36039 and later went to France, serving with 165 Coy (55 Div) until returned to the UK (reason yet unclear). He later served with 201 Bn MGC being sent to Archangel, and embarked there, for UK, on 14/9/1919.

Arriving home, he was sent on leave, prior to release. At his home,Essex Villa, Saville Road, Chadwell Heath, on 14/10/1919, he died of acute atrophy of the liver and convulsions, aged 24. The army was too late, in posting him to Class Z reserve on 24/11/1919 - he was already dead (and presumably buried).

He is not shown as a casualty in the CWGC records, although still officially serving on the day he died. There are papers for him (WO363) on microfilm at Kew, but they are poor. Digital capture will no doubt improve these - whenever that might take place.

QUESTION: Can any Forum member find his grave - no doubt somewhere in the Chadwell Heath locality. Was there a local newspaper which might have carried a report?

Come on Essex guys - this is one of YOURS. Lets have him brought in.

Does his death certificate refer to him as a serving soldier with a number etc?

Hywyn

It says "Private, Machine Gun Corps. (Commercial Clerk)" no number quoted.

Thanks. I was thinking of the poor quality of the papers at Kew and proving he was still serving.

Are you aware of the sub forum in 'Cemeteries' that deals with such matters and has some pinned threads for guidance.

Insofar as the grave location is concerened I can only suggest that possibly the local Family History Society covering Chadwell Heath may have produced some Monumental Inscriptions of local cemeteries. Also the local paper may provided some clue to the cemetery in his obit.

Hywyn

I actually live in Chadwell Heath, There are not many cemetries, A few church yards and no memorial that I know of. When we find out where he is ill get a photo and any other info you need. I live just round the corner from saville road. Heres the number for Chadwell Heath cemetery 02085903280. He could also be in Ripple road cemetery and Romford cemetery, Both with in a few miles from Chadwell Heath. Hope that helps a bit.

James

Patesian

As I presume you have all the documentation (death certificate and a hard copy of the service file) are you intending to submit his name to CWGC for commemoration as a serving soldier? If you would like the In From The Cold Project to do this on your behalf, we'd be happy to help or advise. Just drop me a PM.

In any event, we'll check that we don't already know of him. And, presuming it's OK with you, I'm asking a moderator to move the thread to the "possible non-commemorations" sub-forum.

As you suggest, locating his grave might be possible by finding a mention in the newpaper or checking through the area'a burial registers.

John

Barking and Dagenham Council have the burial records for Rippleside, Chadwell Heath and Eastbrookend Cemeteries online ( http://www.lbbd.gov.uk/8-leisure-envir/cem...etery-menu.html ) - a search under the surname Sheldrake brings up 5 burials - including an infant in 1918 but no John unfortunately

Good Luck with him

Cheers

Sue

Found him on the National Burial Index - 24 year old John Sheldrake is recorded as being buried on 17th October 1919 at St Peter and St Paul's Church Dagenham - this is the old Parish Church - see - http://www.barking-dagenham.gov.uk/8-leisu...er-st-paul.html and http://www.dagenhamparishchurch.org/

I was there last month on a family history quest and the vast majority of the graveyard is designated a wildflower meadow and finding graves (if it was actually marked) is very difficult without some idea of location

I happened to meet Gareth Winn (named as contact for the project on the website above) while I was there and I believe that when the graveyard was initially cleared up records were made of all graves and a database is available - that will hopefully go online sometime - subject to funding

Possibly worth making contact with him

Good Luck

Cheers

Sue

Thank you ALL for an amazing response. I'll be handing this over to the "In from the cold" project, who will have more experience in dealing with such a case, than I.

Watch this space!

Patesian.

Patesian is now in touch with IFCP and we're happy to help.

Assuming that the documentation confirms the info on his service, then acceptance by CWGC/MoD is guaranteed and Sue's "find" of his burial will ensure he's properly commemorated there.

John

• 1 year later...

Is their any update on John Sheldrake??

A search on here and CWGC doesn't seem to find anything more recent

Cheers

Sue