Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Calling all Foresters!

Patesian

This is a conundrum with which I need the help of researchers of the Sherwood Foresters everywhere. Whilst researching MGC soldiers for the history database of the Corps, I came across the following: 192140 Private RDB WOODS previously Lieut 12 Sherwood Foresters.

The Medal Index Card tells us that Richard Donald Bell Woods qualified for the 1914-15 Star, British War Medal & Victory Medal, having gone to France in August 1915. He is also on the Officer SWB Roll, Badge No 291352 which was later lost. He then turns up as a Private, MGC,with a number that suggests enlistment in May 1919. Does anyone have any suggestions what was going on here?

NB: Lieut Woods papers are not at National Archives. His long number (38845) is shown in brackets - a sure sign not available, with the further number P/72580 alongside. I couldn't trace him in WO339 or 374.

Come on you ferrets - tell me the answer!

.......and there was me thinking I could use the day job knowledge to assist with a silvicultural query!!

Hope you get some help from Sherwood Foresters experts.

Rob

Can't help much as to why he went back into the ranks, however, according to the SWB roll for officers, his address is given as 371, Hilton Road, Mapperley, Notts. Alas, there isn't any other information given in the officers roll as to what the SWB was for.

A quick look in the 12th Battalion history index of officers has a "2nd Lt D B Woods" as serving with the battalion from Sept 1914 to October 1916. A quick look through the text for the month has no other mention of him though.

James O'Hara

Can't really add anything; other than the question.......

Would a Commission in a Service Battalion for the duration of the War necessarily mean an individual would be entitled to hold that rank if he re-enlisted in peace time?

Mike

London Gazette Issue 30535 dated 19 Feb 1918 contains the following under Infantry Training Reserve:

Temp Lt R D B Woods relinquishes his commission on account of ill health caused by wounds, and is granted the hon. rank of Lt. 22 Feb 18.

THat explains the SWB. There may not have been an officer vacancy when he re-enlisted, but the new service no P/72580 indicates that he did obtain another commission. Army Lists of the early 1920s would confirm this.

Also worth pointing out that wartime commissions were only temporary and by no means guaranteed a Regular commision after the war.

Charles M

Thank you ALL for your contributions. I need to do a little more digging here, but it seems that there is nothing sinister implied by the apparent loss of rank!

Patesian.

Very interesting, but not unusal to find former officers serving as OR's post war, know of a similar case in the Northumberlands where a former officer/MC winner re-enlisted as an OR only to be killed in a road traffic accident while serving in India, he died in collision with a bullock cart. On top of which isn't P/72580 a Military Police number.

I think Patesian was referring to the P/72580 as the updated officers "Long number" on WO338 that usually means post-war service, and therefore = file not transferred to the NA yet.

Steve.

Can't really add anything; other than the question.......

Would a Commission in a Service Battalion for the duration of the War necessarily mean an individual would be entitled to hold that rank if he re-enlisted in peace time?

Mike

No. Very often staffing requirements were cut following hostilities and, if there was no vacancy, he'd have to wait. A

I seem to recall T.E. Lawrence mentioning in "The Mint" that there were several ex-officers who enlisted in the R.A.F. with him as Airmen

Derby Mercury 22.10.15 under Wounded

"Lieut. RDB Woods 12th Sherwood For" no further

Stuart

Again 25th August 1916

"Lieutenant RDB Woods of the Sherwood Foresters has been wounded by gunshot and removed to hospital. he is the eldest son of Mr and Mrs Richard Woods , Fullerton Lodge, Mansfield. He commenced his military training in 1912 when at Eastbourne College and afterwards joined the Nottingham University O.T.C. He received his commission in September 1914 and gained promotion several months later. He was in the battle of Loos, in which he was wounded."

Stuart

Does the phrase "wounded by gunshot" mean accident or deliberate action? If someone attempted suicide would they be disqualified from rejoining at their old rank? may be barking up the wrong tree completely... Where would he have served in the MGC in 1919? were they involved Waziristan/3rd Afghan war or were they just involved in peacetime activities?

Where would he have served in the MGC in 1919? were they involved Waziristan/3rd Afghan war or were they just involved in peacetime activities?

Ireland? quite a few MGC detachments posted there during War of Independance

He would probably been at Nottingham Uni OTC with my grandafthers cousin Arthur... are there records available for this OTC detachment?