Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

... and another thing

speake

What are the rules and regs about touring battlefields? What do I need to have, wear, exhibit, fill out etc to avoid the unwanted attention of the local constabulary?

None. Why would there be?

Always assuming you are referring to battlefields in Western Europe and that you are not intending visiting areas which might be very close to a site that might involve national security of the country you're visiting.

Obviously you will not be straying on to anyone's private land, will you?

John

• Admin

You will be in a hire car so will have the requisite Hi Vis vest etc.

Michelle

You will be in a hire car so will have the requisite Hi Vis vest etc.

Michelle

What are those?

High Visability Vest (very bright colours normally yellow or orange) incase you break down, a legal requirement in Europe now well could just be Belgium and France though.

Just so you can be seen at the roadside. It should be easy to reach e.g not in the boot (trunk) as you would have to get out of the car to get it.

Gaz

Sean

Not a good idea to play with/remove any shells or other nasty looking weapon-like remains that you may come across - otherwise the only attention you might get is being put in a box for shipping home.

You have me wondering what it is like to visit Canadian battlefields, do you all have to wear helmets or particular items of clothing? :P

I'm sure you will have a super time, don't worry about falling foul of the law.

Jim

If stopped in France, say in French 'I do not speak French' The policeperson will let you go whilst they attempt to work out what you have just said. Vanish quickly in case he realises you are taking the we we :D

Hi Sean.

Some simple common sense rules.

Stay out of the woods unless you have permission or are on an official guided tour.

Stay off private land.

Don't walk on fields with crops sown or growing in them.

Otherwise go where you like and enjoy the freedom our lads fought for.

As for driving you will be familiar with left hand drive.

Watch out for a road sign Red Triangle with a X on it. It means you must give way to traffic joining from the right.

You must carry your driving licence with you when driving and your car documents but don't leave them in the car.

Enjoy your trip & post lots of photos here when you get home.

Regards

John

The only rule I follow is to feel very humble in the presence of such self sacrifice. I also think of the families linked to every gravestone and read the personal inscriptions at the base of every stone I stop at.

John