Remembered Today:

Visit to Kemmel next week

Trebrys

Would the experts out there know what to do with a group of secondary school pupils around the Kemmel area at night - keep it clean!!!!

Is there anywhere you'd recommend other than the battlefields and cemeteries as they will be covered in the Ieper / Ypres area!

many thanks! :blink:

There is a member who lives in Kemmel, alas I just can't bring him to mind but post for him, I feel sure he will reply.

Cheers.

Colin.

Thanks. Just anything at all to help pass the time would be great!

Seaside? Go to De Panne or Nieuwpoort or one of the places in between? Might be a bit far.

Veurne, nice little town with lots of cafes.

Poperinge, same and much closer.

How about WW2?

Circus 157 pilots Memorials on the side of the Kemmelberg and in the next door Village of Dranouter.

Incredible story of the shooting down of 5 Spitfires over the Kemmelberg on May 5th 1942. Belgian, Czech, Canadian and British pilots all fell that day with at least 2 to the cannon of J 26 Pip Priller's FW 190. See their Memorials and 3 pilots are buried in Ypres Town Ext CWGC. The Czechs & Belgians have just had a large Commemoration and Remembrance Ceremony at Karel Pavliks Memorial on the side of the Kemmelberg and at Dranouter for De Hemptiene with wreath lays at all the pilots graves and Menin Gate Ceremony. I know it's not WW1 and you did ask for other stuff but just in case?

My wife is staying at Karel Pavliks Sisters house in Bohemia Czech Republic as we speak. Nazdar!

Chris.

The infamous 'Wally's Farm' isn't too far away, I hear that's lively at night...only joking. A bit tricky. I've never stayed at Kemmel. In the good old days we used to stay at the Kosmos at Westouter/Locre, which isn't far from Kemmel. That had a games room, table tennis etc and extensive grounds. I don't know if it's still in existence, certainly you don't hear of school groups using it. The main reason that we've stayed at the Munchenhof in Langemark in recent years is that it has its own tenpin bowling alley but is not in a big town where the boys might wander off in the evening. When I do Somme tours there's not a lot to do at the place we stay at, the Parc D'Ohlain near Arras, so on one of the nights we take the boys to the local equivalent of Megabowl about five miles away. I don't know if there's anything similar round Ieper.

Many thanks to you all! All greatly appreciated!

Unfortunately I'm not going myself. I thought they were all staying at Ieper / Ypres, but one teacher yesterday asked me about Kemmel hence the request.

Thanks to all!