Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/4th Kings Own Royal Lancaster Regiment.

Sue S

I wonder whether anyone has access to the war diaries of the 1/4th Kings Own RLR and might be able to give me any information of what they were involved in from 1-7-1916 to 10- 9- 1916 when Pte 3757 James Edward Leck was posted missing and later killed. James is buried at London Cemetery and Extension Longueval. Thanks in anticipation. Sue.

Hi Sue

here's an extract from Westlake's 'Battalions on the Somme'

1/4th Battalion (T.F.). 164th Brigade, 55th (West Lancashire) Division:

Arrived Berneuil from Sombrin (22/7). Entrained at Candas for Mericourt (25/7) and from there marched to Meaulte. To Happy Valley (26/7), positions between Trones Wood and Guillemont (30/7). 'B' Company attacked advanced German strong-point 8.30 p.m. (2/8) - forced to retire due to severe shelling. Renewed attack later more successful. Withdrew to reserve line - Dublin and Casement Trenches. To bivouacs south of Carnoy and west of Bronfay Farm (4/8). To trenches near Arrow Head Copse (7/8). Attack on Guillemont 3.45 a.m. (8/8) - assault driven back by bombs and machine gun fire. Casualties - 271. Relieved and to bivouacs south-west of Carnoy (9/8). War Diary notes observation balloon broke away towards enemy lines - occupant parachuted. To Mericourt (14/8). Entrained for Abbeville (19/8) and from there marched to Limercourt. Entrained at Pont-Remy for Mericourt- l'Abbe (30/8) and from there marched to bivouacs near Dernancourt. To positions near Albert on Amiens Road (31/8), east of Becordel-Becourt (6/9), Montauban (7/9), Montauban Alley (8/9), reserve line Crucifix Alley (9/9) - 1 company attached to 1/8th King's Liverpool in support. Moved forward to Delville Wood (10/9). Attack on Hop Alley and Ale Alley 5.20 a.m. (11/9) - withdrew after strong machine gun and rifle fire. Relieved and to Becourt (12/9), Ribemont (13/9). One officer and 120 other ranks sent to guard German prisoners in Corps cage at Mametz (15/9). To Buire (16/9), Becourt (17/9), York Trench (18/9) - moving to Mametz at midnight. Working parties around Longueval. To trenches in front of Delville Wood (Green Trench, King's Walk) (24/9). Moved forward to trenches east of Flers (26/9). In support of 1/8th King's Liverpool for attack on Gird Lines (27/9) - took over captured positions (28/9). Relieved and via Mametz to Dernancourt (29/9). Entrained for Longpre (1/10) and from there marched to Bouchon. Entrained at Longpre for Poperinghe (2/10).

I also have several map extracts of the area if you need to see them

cheers, Jon

Thanks Jon, I now have something to 'get my teeth into'.

Thanks for the PM Phil. I will contact you later in the week when I have a bit more time.

Regards Sue S

Prior to their arrival on the Somme the battalion were deployed in the Ficheux sector, south of Arras.

Ken

Hi Sue

I have one or two decent, detailed sources on the Somme offensive!

Give me a bell and we can arrange delivery!

Cheers

Ken

There was a battalion history written after the war by two of the officers, Wadham & Crossley. It is called "The Fourth Battalion of the King's Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment)" or similar.

It may be available as a re-print or on inter-library loan. I have an original copy if you are struggling for a look-up, but you may wish to read the whole thing.

Ken

Hi Sue,

Hope you are still watching this thread - I've only just picked it up because I've been away for the best part of a fortnight.

I have all the info you need but it will have to wait until tomorrow before I can post it for you. James was killed at Hop/Ale Alley at the NE of Delville Wood. A few days later, his body, along with three others, was buried on the battlefield by one of the Chaplains of the 14th Division at a point half-way between Delville Wood and Waterlot Farm.

His body was then lost until some time in the 30's/40's when it was rediscovered and reinterred in London Cemetery Extension. Hence, his name is actually inscribed on the Thiepval Memorial (although it is spelled Leek), but he is not formally commemorated there. His headstone had the same misspelling but that has been corrected.

I have some brief biographical detalis on him and others of his family (cousins?) which I will post for you as well. What I don't have is a photograph of him - do you?

Best wishes.

Andy.

Hi Sue,

Hope you are still watching this thread - I've only just picked it up because I've been away for the best part of a fortnight.

I have all the info you need but it will have to wait until tomorrow before I can post it for you. James was killed at Hop/Ale Alley at the NE of Delville Wood. A few days later, his body, along with three others, was buried on the battlefield by one of the Chaplains of the 14th Division at a point half-way between Delville Wood and Waterlot Farm.

His body was then lost until some time in the 30's/40's when it was rediscovered and reinterred in London Cemetery Extension. Hence, his name is actually inscribed on the Thiepval Memorial (although it is spelled Leek), but he is not formally commemorated there. His headstone had the same misspelling but that has been corrected.

I have some brief biographical detalis on him and others of his family (cousins?) which I will post for you as well. What I don't have is a photograph of him - do you?

Best wishes.

Andy.

Hi Andy, I will send you a PM. Sue