Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South Lancashire Regiment

Stansman

Hi all, this is my first post! I'm trying to find out some more info on the movements and actions of the South Lancashire Regiment between early 1915 and late 1917, so far I've found little info on them compared to other regiments. Any help would be much appreciated :D

Regards

Stan

Stan,

Are you interested in a particular battalion withing the regiment? If you weren't aware, battalions of the same regiment did not generally serve in the same places at the same time, but were grouped with battalions of different regiments into Brigades and Divisions.

Of course, their were exceptions, notably Territorial battalions, which in the case of the South Lancs, meant that the 1/4th and 1/5th Battalions served in the 55th Division from 1916 onwards and 2/4th and 2/5th Battalions served together in the 57th Division.

Ken

I'd have thought that Whalley-Kelly's regimental history "Ich Dien" would be as good a starting point as anywhere, for an overview about where particular battalions were.

The regimental museum at Preston is also a mine of information.

Simples

Thanks for the helpful replies :D its the 1/5 S Lancs I'm particulary interested in as I'm researching an officer who was in that Battalion.

Stan

Stan,

If you post his name and what you know about him here, I'm sure someone will be able to add more.

Ken