The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10th London Regiment info sought

herbie4798

Could you post the picture ?

• 8 months later...
Guest mikedixie

Hi James,

I dont know if you can help but as this is about the 10th London Regiment i thought i'd ask.

Basically whilst working on my family tree i have come across my Great Great Grandfather, Walter John Dixie, who apparently was a casualty of WW1.

On looking into it a bit further i have this link: http://twgpp.org/inf....php?id=3168245

On there it says that Walter Dixie was part of 26th Supernumerary Coy. 10th Bn, London Regiment however i have no other information on him and wondered if you have him in any of your research?

I would be very grateful for your help if you can or anyone else who may be able to help me.

Kind Regards

Mike

• 10 months later...

I am looking for information about the 2nd Battalion 10th London regiment especially anything to do with my grandfather - Cpl John George Dearing no. 420521 who served with the 2/10th from 8 Aug 1914 until Sep 1917 when he was wounded at Ypes and then reassigned to the Labour Corp 589521 until he was discharged 19 Dec 1918 sick para392 xvi. (no longer physically fit to serve). I have his medal card and war badge record but have had no luck in finding his service record or 'pension' record and can only assume that it was one of those destroyed by fire. I have found the Pathe news film of the 10th marching through Hackney and at their Headquarters at Mare Street as well as the battalion's War Diary. However my father is convinced that there are regimental photographs in some archive somewhere but I have not had any luck tracing them. I am hoping that perhaps there is a little more information out there that I can pass onto my father as he did not have the opportunity to speak to his father about his military service. Thanks

• 6 months later...

I'm hoping for some help in sorting out a puzzle about my grandfather, Thomas Bridges.

According to the (infant) death certificate of my uncle George, Thomas Bridges registered his death in Hackney on Dec 29 1914 and recorded himself as a private in the 10th battalion County of London regiment.

The WW1 medal cards show a Thomas Bridges of the 10th London Regiment as receiving the 1915 star, entering into battle on the 10th August 1915 in the Balkans which I believe is when the 10th London arrived in Gallipoli. Other records lead me to believe that they were evacuated from there in December 1915 and shipped to Egypt.

His medal card gives two service numbers, 2329 and 421094, both with the 10th London. I can find no records for him in the burnt records or in the pensions records.

Two questions come from this:

Why two numbers with the same Regiment? What would ocassion the need for a second number?

and, were any of the Regiment shipped home after Gallipoli?

The reason for the second question is that either there are two Thomas Bridges in the Regiment (not impossible), or he was shipped home after Gallipoli, or someone else was my mother's father (born Oct 8th 1915) and my Nan should have a few questions to answer.

Any help much appreciated

Derrick

Hello Derrick,

Just in case you did not know, Thomas was discharged 1/11/1919 being awarded the Silver War Badge". Cause of discharge "Sick", Kings Regulations XVI.

Why two numbers with the same Regiment? What would ocassion the need for a second number?

No 2067 enlisted 3/11/14

No 2919 enlisted 25/3/15

Your man would have enlisted between these dates/

The TF were re numbered in 1917. The block of numbers used were 420001 - 450000

so your man was one of the first to be renumbered.

Two questions come from this:

and, were any of the Regiment shipped home after Gallipoli?

The reason for the second question is that either there are two Thomas Bridges in the Regiment (not impossible), or he was shipped home after Gallipoli, or someone else was my mother's father (born Oct 8th 1915) and my Nan should have a few questions to answer.

Derrick

The first question has been answered in other posts with the exception that they've failed to tell you he enlisted on 21st November 1914.

The second question, if the dates you've entered are correct, would appear to be irrelevant unless there's something I'm missing. Thomas didn't enter an overseas theatre until 10th August 1915 so was still in the UK, probably on home leave, when your mother was conceived. I can't see anything in the dates listed that would suggest your nan was in any way 'indiscrete', Thomas just wasn't there at the birth.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Hi James,

is there a history of the 2nd/10th Hackneys in the 58th (2nd/2nd London) Division been printed? Regards John.

• 1 month later...
Guest robtaylor

Hi,

I found this great site and thread recently.

I have recently acquired my great grandfathers medals (Star, service, victory). I find all the terms regarding 1st line, 2nd line and so on confusing. All I would like to know is what exact regiment/division? he was in, so I can then hopefully find out what he did exactly during his service.

His name was Thomas A H Shephard and he was a sergeant in the 10th London. His medal index card gives two numbers, 1551 and 420640.

Does anyone have any more info that I could use please? There may even be a photo of him knocking about somewhere. I would be truly grateful.

Rob

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm new to this but my grandad served with 10th Hackney batt at Gallipolli and I would like to know more about how this unit saw action, where and when. I have his dog tags and pay book and the wills he made out. Also several photos which I think we're taken when the unit was in Mesopotamia. Not sure how to get them on the computer for others to see.

• 7 months later...
Guest pbolding

You probably asked Hackney Archives but they have a photo of Percy Meadows, who fell in the war, in front of what seems to be 3 coy's 10th London's office.