Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10th London Regiment info sought

herbie4798

James

As part of my research into the 75th division I am working my way through events in Palestine from April 1917 - May 1918. Would be very interested in any refs you have to the 10th Londons / 162nd Bde having been relieved at anytime by elements of the 75th Division. Would also appreciate it if you could advise if the 10th Londons took part in the trench training of the 75th division when it came into the line.

Regards

Dave

Guest 38thrfus

The British Jewry Book of Honour

lists a 2nd Lt. W. Rosen London Regiment

although first name given as Wilfred.

Citation to his MC

"For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty during an attack on a village. He as the first to enter the village, leading the firing line of his company with dash and vigour. Latter, under heavy machine-gun firw, he pulled the line together, charged forward, and captured eighteen prisoners."

I would say that's a really good citation.

No picture in the book unfortunately.

Hope this helps

Yes thanks for that . Would not be to many in the book as i belive that jewish units as a rule did not enter the war til late 1917. MC

Thanks for your Replies Guys. Rosen was serving with the 1/10th Londons when he won his MC. He was on attachment from the Fusileers.

Dave, I will dig out my books and hopefully help you out if I can.

Cheers

James

Thanks James.

Have another 10th (but maybe 11th) London come up in my research of the Mena House Staff Courses. I have a Lieut F. V. Harris att'd from the Royal Fusiliers. He was part of the 3rd Course. Have not had much luck in tracking him down so far.

Any ideas ?

Regards

Dave

Hi Dave, If you give me a few days I will have a look for you. Just got back from a week away and just trying to get back to reality :(

James

Thanks James

Appreciate you taking the time.

Regards

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Hackney gurka

I had some research done of my wife's great grandfather who was killed at Noreuil in 1917.

His name was

William Edward French. 203488 (private)

1st city of london battalion (Royal fusiliers)

Formaly 4821 10th London Regiment (Hackney)

I already had a copy of a Studio picture taken of him in uniform but a recent family gathering two more have appeared.

One seems to be an informal one taken with some pals at a training camp. The other is more formal with officers and arms. I think it's a passing out photo or a pre- embarkation one. To be honest i have a little trouble placing him in the photo but have narrowed it down to two on closer inspection. He must be in the pic otherwise why would the family have it ? What is also interesting about this photo is another person. I did not notice it at first but while is scanning the original looking for him i spotted a black soldier in the ranks. I know that there were black soldiers in the British army but apart from Walter Tull this is the first i've seen.

regards

Ralph

Hello Ralph,

Sorry for the late response. I have only just seen your post. Still trying to get used to it. I will check my stuff and see If I have anything on him. Is there any chance of seeing the photos? I Notice William as your Avatar. I have a photo of the 10th Battalion at Richmond Park training. There is also a Black soldier in the first rank. Once you have 10 posts you can use the PM sytem. I will send you over a copy and see if it is the same soldier that is in your Photo.

Dave, I havn't forgot you mate. Have been really busy but will get round to sorting out your info.

All the best

James

Hello James,

No problem with taking your time to reply. I'm new to this forum and i keep forgeting to look at it. :wub:

When i get enough posts i will PM you the pics. A long shot i know, but it would be interesting to see if you can put any names to the men in them, if any other forum members have sent you their copies. The black soldier is intriging and i'd like to know where & when the pics were taken.

I've recently come back from Noreuil where William was killed. He has no known grave so my daughter 'adopted' an unknown grave at the Australian cemetery in the village. Some of my facebook friends are now determined to either visit the grave of a relative and those who dont have a grave to visit are going to do research and find out where their kin was killed and adopt a grave of an unknown in that area.

One of my daughters friends lives in Australia and she's coming over next year to 'adopt' a grave in the Ypres area. So it looks like i'm going back there for another visit. Oh dear !! :thumbsup:

Hi Ralph,

Im sure its something we can try to solve :) Compare photos and see what we can do. Look forward to looking at them. Im sorry I cant help you on the 1st Londons and the action in when William was Killed. Im sure someone will be able to help. Will be nice to piece it all together. As for adopting a grave, What a nice idea. You can never get bored of Visiting mate.

All the best

James

Hi james

Yes a comparison of photo's will be fun. Although i had research done on William i still have trouble interpreting some of it. I'm sure he was in the 2/1st (CWGC source) but on the death scroll copy it say's 1st. Never mind i'll get to the bottom of it.

The 'adoption' of a grave seems to have caught a lot of people's attention and interest. How many 'known unto to god' graves are there on the western front? Would schools be interested in being part of such an idea.

When i was there in late June early July there were lots of school coach's roaming around the countryside. I would imagine they were doing the main sites but from what i saw a lot of the kids cannot really comprehend the magnitude of Tynecot or Theipval.

Perhaps with the centeenary of the start of the great war not far away, schools could be associated with a particular cemetery. Not one of the major ones but a lesser one with graves in from a regiment from their own area, prominent in that cemetery. There would undoubtedly be an unknown in that cemetery that the kids could really focus their attention on.

Don't mind me wittering on about this idea of mine and looking at it, it all seems a little too simplistic and easy to implement.

Regards.

Ralph

post count nudging toward being able to pm :thumbsup:

That would be a good idea. Anything to keep the next Generation Remembering the Sacrifice these men and Women made. You only need 5 more posts. Have you introduced yourself yet? :D

James

No i have not introduced myself yet. Still kinda feeling my way round the different topics and the information therein.

There's so much that i could easily get lost.

I have yet to research my side of the families war records. I know that my grandfather served in the artillary (i dont know which bit) but i also know that he was not born 1899/1900 so at best he may have only seen the back end of the war. I also know that his brother also served in the artillary but he was a few years older so would have seen much more action so may be more fruitfull.

There are only two death's recorded with my surname for the army in WW1. I don't yet know if they are relatives but have been to visit ones grave and the others panel. It would be great if they are relatives.

Hi james tried to pm you as i have 10 posts didn't seem to work. Probably me doing something wrong. Will try later

• 4 months later...

Hi all

Still looking for any info on the 10th. Personal diaries, photos etc. I have taken a break from researching the last few months due to work commitments, but now back to doing what I love. So if anyone can help me please get in touch. Also if there is anyone who I didnt get back to please let me know.

All the best

James

• 1 month later...

Hello James,

Not sure if we have spoken in the past, but thought i would ask again, just in case we didnt!

We have at least 16 casualties from the 10th Londons on our site. I am in contact with the family of a casualty James Roskilly DOW 14/05/1917.James Roskilly on The Walthamstow War Memorial site, his relations have no pics or anything although i have been to his grave and can send you a copy of that photo if you wish?

Cheers

Ian

Hello Ian,

Im pretty sure we have spoken before. I remember saying how impressed I was with your Memorial Websites! A picture would be great. If the family of James Roskilly would like war diaries and his medal roll please let me know and I would be more then happy to send them to you.

All the best

James

Hi Dave,

Ive downloaded a couple of photos from there before for soldiers I have been researching. A good site.

All the best

James

Not quite the Great War, but in August 1913 the 10th London Regiment camped at Perham Down, near Tidworth. It comprised 800 men, with eight drill sergeants loaned from the Coldstream Guards for the occasion. One of its officers, Henry Prittie (Baron Dunalley),commented:

"What my crowd wanted was steady drill from dawn to dark every day, varied by a bit of musketry instruction. Instead of which – two days wasted by brigade schemes, one by a division day, another by night operation. Night operations for men who had never been out of sight of the street lamps of Hackney!"

The battalion's guard-tent was usually packed with offenders, some of whom Dunalley tried to punish with from ten to fourteen days' detention – until it was pointed out that certain of them were due to spend only eight days in camp and they would lose their civilian jobs if detained any longer. He halved the sentences and had no more trouble.

You may get more detail from Baron Dunalley, (Henry Prittie) Khaki and Rifle Green (Hutchinson, 1940).

Moonraker

Hi all, Im looking for any info anyone has on Soldiers of the 10th London Regiment Hackney during the Great war. Im looking for Pictures, Personal Diaries and Stories etc. This will work 2 ways as I have Lots of information on the Battalion and may be able to help you.

Regards

James

Hi James. I've got a 10th London man amongst the 248 Maldon and Heybridge casualties:

Private Arthur Lewis CROSS. He was born in Langford and enlisted at Fullbridge, Maldon. He was also in the ASC and the 1/15th and 1/23rd. London. He was KIA serving with the 1/23rd East Surrey Regiment (as 29120) on 22/8/1918, aged 19.

Best wishes.

SPN

Maldon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
Guest Alisonk1969

Hi, Just found my Great-Grandfather's Victory medal with the inscription of 2941 Pte Thomas Turner, 10 London Regiment. Has anyone come across his name in their research or could direct me further? I have a photograph of him with many others (looks like it's been taken outside a nissan hut) and I know which one is him, but there is no other information on it. I know that Thomas survived the war as he went on to work for the Gas Light and Coke Company, he passed away approx 1961/1962.

Many thanks in advance.

Alison (ex-WRAC / Royal Anglian)