Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6th dorsets

tom compton

Sorry Tom, I've been through what I've got which doesn't amount to much only Somme 1916 and a March/April 1918

cheers, Jon

Tom

Taken from the History of the Dorset Regt 1914- 1919 I have tried to paraphrase the detials.

11th April Ordered to relieve the 44thBrigade moved forward to its destination in the sunken road south of the river Scarpe, this took place in the dark and the snow.

12 April - daylight finds them with A, D & C companies up with B in reserve - as this position had recently been taken some of them were facing the wrong way in enfilade to the German Line.

16.45 hrs they recieve quick verbal orders for a forward move 15 minutes before zero ( 17.00) , thier first objective was a spur east of Lone Copse and ruuning in a north east direction.

It was obviuosly an impossible start and the artillery barrage was wild and scattered - nevertheless the leading companies made off at 18.20 hrs and made an advance of 1,000 yards , they suffered heavy casulites by machine gun and artillery fire as soon as they left the trenches.

They did indeed make the spur.

Due to the attack on thier left failing, and with thier left flank exposed a retirement was ordered at 23:00 hrs, by 03:15 hours they had passed back through the East Yorks without further casualties.

After a day in Support (13 ? ) during which the HQ was shelled with lethal and tear gas, they were pulled back to the railway triangle.

Tom there are several named personnel in this account - what was the name of your granddad ?

Hope this helps

Malcolm

Thanks Jon and Malcolm. His name was Edgar Tristram killed with him was a J wilks these two were the only 6th dorsets who were killed on that day. 13th april. Malcolm what battalion did your two dorset men serve in. Tom

Tom

I have checked the names and unfortunately Edgar Tristram is not named, he is included in the roll of honour at the rear of the book.

In relation to my family Frank, William & Bertie Linham ( Captured on the retreat from Mons ) were all regulars in the 1st Batt.

My maternal grandfather Frederick Blake 3/8019 served with both the 1st & 5th Battalions.

Malcolm

Hello Macolm. I would be interested to know when your two soldiers joined the 1st dorsets. My granddad joined the 1st dorsets in 1884 as a drummer boy and left in 1896, later to join the 6th dorsets in 1914. Tom

Tom

Sorry for the delay,for someone who works part time, life has been hetic recently.

Frank enlisted on the 30 August 1914 posted to France and Flanders 23/10/14. KIA 3/5/1915

William enlisted 17th May 1902 posted to France & Flanders 16/8/1914. KIA 13/10/1914

Bertram (Bertie) I do not know his enlistment date posted to F & F 16/8/1914 Captured on the 13/10/1914. Thier is no file at the N/A for Bertie, this may be because it was destroyed during the Blitz or more likely that as he was a regular he continued to serve after WW1 and his records are still with the Army - I have'nt investigated this option at present.

Malcolm