Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gueudecourt trench maps

Chris Noble

Just arrived 1 hr ago in Alabama from Europe trip to gueudecourt where I took some pics a couple of days ago; here is a panorama left is Thilloy, right is Gueudecourt, viewpoint is the "Luisenhof"

post-80-1127784914.jpg

• 3 years later...

WithDoubleBass

What are you looking for in particular I have a number of maps of the area between Oct 1916 and early 1917.

Tim B

any trench maps for that time period. my relative died from trench foot and his battlion was in the trenches near there. heres a list of the were he was during the date he mustave got trench foot. he died 5/1/1917. he was buried in rouen so i suppose he was brought outta the line mid decemeber or so. im not sure this is where the trail goes cold but im looking for maps of the area. arial recconsance maps for this time would be extra special.

November 1916

2nd to 5th in trenches at Guedecourt

5th to 8th in reserve at Bernafay Wood

8th to 10th in trenches at Guedecourt. Attack 3rd November.

10th November

H Camp Carnoy

11th to 14th by train to Hangest

15th November to 13th December 1916

At Ailly-sur-Somme

13th December: by train from Hangest to Meaulte

14th to 23rd December in reserve at Meaulte

23rd to 25th December Camp XVIII at Carnoy

25th December reserve at Guillemont Camp

26th to 28th December in trenches at Guedecourt

28th to 31st December in reserve at Guillemont

1917. 1st to 3rd January

Trenches at Sailly-Saillisel

3rd to 6th January at Camp XVIII at Carnoy.

any help would be fantastic

- Graham

Having walked this area for the first time this March ( visited bits every now and then but never in depth) found the area fascinating. It is a forgotton part of the Somme as is much of the Oct / Nov battlefield.

Recommend a study.

TT

• 2 months later...

Malcolm

Does your trench map make any mention of the 88th Brigade on October 1916. In particular the 88th machine gun brigade.There were some ex royal scots including my Grandfather and I suspect another was killed there.

Thanks Glen

• 1 month later...

Going this weekend to see the area. My friends grandfather Bob Eades of the South Wales Borderers was killed at Cloudy Trench on 20th October 1916. No Known grave but named on Thiepval. Cloudy Trench Cemetary was relocated to Bancourt so do you think he may be among the unknown soldiers there?

Malcolm

Does your trench map make any mention of the 88th Brigade on October 1916. In particular the 88th machine gun brigade.There were some ex royal scots including my Grandfather and I suspect another was killed there.

Thanks Glen

88th Brigade( 29th Division) were attached to 12 th Division for this assault so they would be with 35 and 37 Brigades near HILT, RAINBOW and eventually BAYONET Trenches. They were on the right of the line according to Somme Day by Day.

Aye

Malcolm

Hi.

Looking for Trench Map covering the area of Mild and Cloudy Trenches, ideally, October 16.

Thanks in advance, Chris.

We are travelling this weekend to Gueudecourt in remembrance of a friend of mine's Grandfather Sargeant Bob Eades of the 2nd South Wales Borderers, killed on 20th October 1916 at Cloudy Trench Gueudecourt. He is remembered on Thiepval memorial. We understand that Cloudy trench cemetery was relocated to Bancourt cemetery and he may be one of the unknown laid to rest there. Is this likely?

Thanks for all the helpful trench map details in advance.

• 4 years later...

Hello

im looking for the Map\ Trench location of the 9th Royal Fusiliers on 7th October...

supposedly Gird Trench \ support, part of 36th Divisions attack on Bayonet Trench ?

Cheers

John

John at work right now but I know the exact spot and have walked there. Even found a RF shoulder title in the mud. I do have maps etc

TT

Anyone have any trench maps or pics of Gueudecourt between Oct 1916 and Jan 1917?

thanks

Graham

also see the 2nd link in my signature