Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Battle of Doiran 18th-19th Sept. 1918

Reenactor

Hello lads,

In this topic, I'd like to post some data about the Bulgarian forces during the last battle of Dorian (OOB, organisation of the defence, the fortification, etc.). I thing this might be useful for the researchers of the Salonica front in this forum.

I took my info from the following Bulgarian sources (the headings are translated in English):

-Col. Nikola Nedev "The Doiran epopee 1916-1918", Sofia 1923

-Col. Todor Georgiev "The fight for Dub high (Pip ridge) 14th-25th Sept. 1918", Sofia 1924

-Dr. Liuben Leshtov "The fight for Dub high (Pip ridge)", Sofia 1927

-Col. A. Karaivanov "The defence of Doiran 18th-19th Sept. 1918", Military historical journal, 1988

-Col. Dimitar Zafirov "The defence of Doiran", Military historical journal, 2004

Best wishes,

Boris

OOB and strenght of 9th inf. Pleven division in the eve of the battle

Commander of the division: Maj.Gen. Vladimir Vazov
Chief of staff: Col. Dobri Popov

- 1st inf. brigade
Commander: Col. Petar Atanasov
Chief of staff: Lt. Col. Sotir Marinkov
- 17th inf. Dorostol regiment- Col. Spas Angelov
- 58th inf. regiment- Col. Gavril Litshev

- 2nd inf. brigade
Commander: Col. Pisarov
Chief of staff: Lt. Col. Niagolov
- 34th inf. Troyan regiment (divisional reserve)- Col. Pano Marinov
- 4th inf. PLeven regiment (reserve of 1st Army)

- 3rd inf. brigade
Commander: Col. Stefan Ratshev
Chief of staff: Lt. Col. Todor Georgiev
- 33rd inf. Svishtov regiment- Col. Todor Neikov
- 57th inf. regiment- Lt. Col. Nikola Ivanov

- 9th art. brigade
Commander: Col. Kamenov
- 9th art. regiment- Col. Kableshkov
- 19th art. regiment- Col. Dimitriev

- 9th. Pioneer battailion- Maj. Miltenov

Total: (including the 4th inf. Pleven regiment)
23 inf. battailions, 23 and a half batteries, 2 Pioneer companies, 1 and a half cavalry squadron, and other small and auxuliary units (including some German ones); 134 field and heavy guns, 2 trench 53mm guns for anti-tank defence, 34 mortars, 176 grenade launchers, 188 HMGs, 2 flametrowers.

- 698 officers and cadets
- 34 251 other ranks (including the non-combat troops)

Hi Boris

Saw your posting on 9th (Pleven) Division and thought I'd get in touch. I am co-author of 'Under the Devil's Eye - Britain's Forgotten Army at Salonika 1915-1918' and Chairman of the Salonika Campaign Society here in UK. I also work as a curator in the Photo Archive of the Imperial War Museum. I was involved in the project last year to restore the 22nd Division Memorial at Doiran in FYROM. I have visited the Salonika Battlefields a number of times and have contacts in both Greece and FYROM. However, I do not have any contacts in Bulgaria. Interesting sources you quote in your first posting. At IWM we hold an english translation of Nedev (produced by a British staff officer just after WWI). I will be in Greece and FYROM leading a battlefield tour group between 18 - 28 September this year. Perhaps if you were around we could arrange a meet up.

Regards

ALAN WAKEFIELD

Boris,

I shall be on the tour wih my husband Martin (also on the forum) - it would be great if we could meet up.

Kate

Hello Alan and Kate,

I already visisted the Doiran battlefield and the Doirani BSF cemetery in Greece and the memorial on the Colonial hill just 2 weeks ago. Of cource I'm planning to be there again, as such important objects like Petit couronne/Boris hill and Pip ridge/Dub remained unexplored by me. Unfortunately, I doubt to have this opportunity so soon- between 18-28 of September :(

Alan, I have red only very good impressions about your book. I've tried several times to purhase it online , but for a pity the guys form the online bookstores do not deliver outside the UK :unsure: In this matter, please be kind to contact me via my E-mail: broshev601012 AT abv.bg , because as a new member here, I still don't have the right to send PMs. Thank you. I'm really interested to possess this quite reliable source of information.

In the following days, I'll continue to post here info about the Bulgarian army during the battle.

Best wishes,

Boris

Hi Boris

I'm having trouble emailing you. So here's a copy of my email:

At the moment my book 'Under the Devil's Eye' is out of print. I am working to get a new publisher to reprint it. Will let you know when that happens. Good to hear you have been to Doiran - it is a wonderful battlefield with plenty still to see. My friend Romeo Drobarov from Strumica helps the Salonika Campaign Society run tours to the battlefields. We also go to Kosturino for the 1915 stand by 10th (Irish) Division. Recently Romeo has met the mayor of Grandsko and got him to organise some locals to clean up an abandoned German cemetery from WWI that I was shown last November. So things are happening in the area to help remember WWI.

A few weeks ago I came across a website for the following Bulgarian military history journal: ВОЕННОИСТОРИЧЕСКИ СБОРНИК

I noticed there were a few Doiran / 9th Division articles. I emailed the contact at the magazine but have heard nothing. Perhaps they cannot read English? Have you heard of this publication? I would very much like to get copies of the Doiran articles translated into English. Would be good to read some research from the Bulgarian side.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards

ALAN