Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dr 2142 Frank Hallam - k.i.a.: 22 July 1915 Aged 19

GrahamC

Hi pals

I have been contacted by the niece of this Buxton lad who was k.i.a. aged 19 on 22 July 1915. I have his MIC and CWGC details etc. but can one of you Notts and Derby experts give me a bit of background on where the Regt. was engaged etc. on the day he died.

I am meeting with her on Tuesday over a cuppa, just before she sets off to visit his grave for the first time (she's 73) and would like to give her some background, but am a bit short of time for any in depth research myself.

Many thanks, guys

Graham

Mike Briggs will undoubtedly be able to give you chapter and verse on this one, so I shall not risk the danger of embarassing myself with what would be a comparatively brief response! :blush:

Frank Hallam..........hmmm lets see B)

Well for starters his service record is on Ancestry (might have it at home).

He enlisted in March 1914 and served with B Company; Arrived in France on 28th February 1915.

I can give you more details later tonight when I get home; but they were around Ypres at that time (off the top of my head)

post-4619-1246892046.jpg

Here we go. A paragraph from my 'will it ever be finished' History of the 6th Battn B)

The Battalion returned to Sanctuary Wood and took over trenches A8-A12 and B1-B2 from the 5/Sherwood Foresters and there they remained until the 27th July. During their time in the front line trenches the Battalions of the 139th Brigade continued a practice of patrolling the wire and advanced listening posts. The Germans in this sector were very active and often dug new fire trenches or advanced posts. The front line trenches in this sector were very close, often only several yards apart, and it was important to maintain the upper hand in this sector. Indeed the War History of the 5th Battalion Sherwood Foresters describes an incident in which opposing machine gun points were only 3 yards away! The Germans only occupied their post during the evening and it soon became a point of honour for the Sherwood Foresters to visit the post before it was occupied and remove any available souvenirs. Becoming wise to this the German’s began to conceal booby traps in interesting booty, however by setting their own bombs the Foresters scored first .

As the 6/Sherwood Foresters continued to hold the front line in and around Santuary Wood they suffered a continous stream of trench casualties who were buried either just behind the firing line in Maple Copse , which was the site of an advanced dressing station and became the primary cemetery for 6/Sherwood Foresters trench burials, or at the site of casualty clearing stations or base hospitals on the coast. During this trench duty six men were killed or died of their wounds; 2142 Frank Hallam from Buxton, 1301 Alfred Gent from Chesterfield, 2980 William Eyre and 2859 Harold Buxton from Clay Cross, 1575 William Cartledge from Monsal Dale and 894 Arthur Read from Matlock who was killed a shell bursting in the trench. In addition the Battalion suffered 12 wounded (2 of whom later died). On the 29th July the Battalion were relieved and returned to their bivouacs.

Brilliant - thanks Mike

I'm meeting Frank's niece tomorrow morning, I'll let you know if I find anything else to add to your book's 2nd Edition! :lol:

Graham