Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Some miscellaneous group photos

PGL

I came across these photos while doing some research recently and thought I'd post them in case some forum pals might have an interest in them. Accompanying each image is the original caption or text. If any of these images are useful to you and you'd like larger, better quality versions, let me know. If I come across more group photos in the future I'll post them here.

post-40048-1246716208.jpg

C.P.R. AS RECRUITING AGENCY

Patriotic Belfast Chief and His Staff

The Canadian Pacific Railway Company has placed the benefit of its widespread organisation at the service of the Empire in the present crisis, and has developed itself into a great recruiting agency for the British Army. Every office is a centre of patriotic activity, and the company's employees have given an excellent lead to others in joining the King's forces in large numbers. The Belfast office, so capably managed by Mr. W. McCalla, is no exception, and of the group of the chief and his staff, shown herewith, no fewer than six are now preparing for the front as recently joined members of Lord Kitchener's Army. The display of pictorial posters in the window of the Victoria Street offices is very fine, and certainly it cannot be said that the Belfast staff has been deaf to the stirring appeal under one of the most effective of them :-

Lads of desk and wheel and loom,

Noble and trader, squire and groom,

Come where the bugles of England play,

Over the hills and far away.

post-40048-1246716279.jpg

Sergeants of the Dorset Regiment photographed just before their departure to join the Expeditionary Force. The casulaty list suffered last week shows that the Dorset Regiment has suffered very heavily.

post-40048-1246716413.jpg

ROYAL ENGINEERS AT ANTRIM

Some of the non-commissioned officers of the Royal Engineers stationed at Antrim. The names from left to right are:- (sitting) CSM Jones, SM Wilkins, CQMS Powell and QMS Reynolds. (standing) Corporal Pulford, Corporal Agnew, Sergeant Lawrie, Sergeant Williams, CSM Mew, Corporal Stowers and Sergeant Brown.

PGL,

I would be very pleased to have a larger / better quality copy of the Dorset Regt NCOs. I will PM you also, or you can me. :D

Many thanks

Steve

Well received, thank you!

Andy,

The caption to the photograph does not state specifically where the photograph was taken. However, the Dorsets were stationed at Victoria Barracks in Belfast just before the war and as the caption states that the photo was taken "just before their departure to join the Expeditionary Force", this would tend to very strongly suggest that it was taken at Victoria Barracks in 1914.

Without wanting to be pedantic, there was no "Northern" or "Republic of Ireland" prior to partition in 1922 but in answer to your question, I would say yes it was taken in what is now Northern Ireland.

Andy,

The caption to the photograph does not state specifically where the photograph was taken. However, the Dorsets were stationed at Victoria Barracks in Belfast just before the war and as the caption states that the photo was taken "just before their departure to join the Expeditionary Force", this would tend to very strongly suggest that it was taken at Victoria Barracks in 1914.

Without wanting to be pedantic, there was no "Northern" or "Republic of Ireland" prior to partition in 1922 but in answer to your question, I would say yes it was taken in what is now Northern Ireland.

Sorry about that - clearly I should have opted for the word 'Ulster' (including Donegal, Cavan and Monaghan) rather than Northern Ireland ;-)

The reason I asked was that my grandfather was with the Dorsets, but he didn't go with them to Ireland but stayed in Dorchester, so if your supposition is correct I doubt he's in the photo. If I PM you my email address could I have a copy too please? I knew Steve was going to get there before me...

post-40048-1247501251.jpg

(Another one I got a week or two ago.)

Non-commissioned officers of the North Irish Horse who are at present stationed at Antrim. The names reading from left to right are:-

Bottom row - SQMS Knox, SQMS Downey, Saddler Sgt Ramage, Farrier Sgt McMichael, PS SSM Scammell, FQMS Mooney, RQMS Jackson, SSM Hamilton, Sgt Trooper Madden, Sgt Brewer

Middle Row - Sgt Matchett, Sgt Green, Sgt Cairns, Sgt Cramsie, Sgt Blackburne, SF Sgt Bailie, Sgt Thompson, Farrier Sgt Sheridan, Sgt Harrison.

Top Row - Cpl SS Nixon, L-Cpl Timmins, Cpl Brundson, Cpl Craig, Cpl Harding, Cpl Brennan, Cpl Nesbitt, Cpl Copeland, Cpl Brennan, L-Cpl Aikerland.

(Anybody know what the dog was called?)

TYRONE RED CROSS WORKERS FOR THE FRONT.

post-40048-1247501951.jpg

The Tyrone Regiment, 1st (North Tyrone) Battalion, Medical and Nursing Corps, photographed prior to leaving for France, with full staff and equipment for fifty beds. Miss Sinclair, the Battalion organiser, who is in charge, is the lady wearing the sash.

Andy / Philip,

Since studying my files I see that in fact I have a copy of the full photograph from which the newspaper cutting is taken.

Unfortunately it is a big file - too big to post on the forum, but I'll email it on to you both. I have it named as "Members of the Sergeant's Mess, 1st Battalion Dorsetshire Regiment, Belfast, August 1914", so that appears to confirm the location. I can't recall where I obtained it, and regretfully I don't have it as a photo either!

Regards

Steve

The main reason I'm slowly collecting and posting these photos is that the newspapers they're from are now 95 years old and are extremely fragile. Copies exist on microfilm but the quality is far below that of the hard copies. My biggest fear is that the quality of these images are going to be "lost" over the next few years as the papers crumble to dust.

I'm glad you've just proved me wrong in at least one instance Steve. :D

Getting the full image would be fantastic, thanks for the offer. :D

PGL,

First photo is a UVF one with what looks like three YCV men in dress uniform.

The photo of the Engineers is interesting to me.

CSM Mew belonged to the 121st Field Company Royal Engineers, Ulster Division so i think this is the Sgt's of that company.

Probably taken at what became the Masserene hospital in Antrim. The building they were stationed in later became the nurses quarters.

My grandfather was a sapper in the 121st [later 150th] and was put on a charge by CSM Mew in 1915 at Henley on Thames for being absent from tattoo. He was picked up by MP's in London [sightseeing??].

Unfortunately CSM Mew was killed in action on the 5th July 1916, when i think [without checking] the Ulster Division Engineers were supporting the 12th Division.

Rob

Rob,

I only included the captions to the photos as given by the newspaper - good to see that someone can expand on them.

The Masserene Hospital was, of course, originally the old Workhouse and there was some dispute a few years ago about Tesco building on the "Spittle Field" to the rear which contained mass graves for chlorea victims in (I think) the outbreaks in the 1840s. But now I'm heading off-topic again ... :D