Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fromelles.

Drummy

Just returned from a 4 day visit to the Somme, Artois and Ypres battlefields, weather absolutely fantastic. One of the highlights was a visit to Fromelles where we visited the site of the new cemetery, and met Martial Delebarre at the Pheasant Wood site where he gave us a short talk on the battle and work going on, he then opened up the Fromelles museum for us and what a treat. An excellent museum and it was clear to see the care and attention given to every exhibit and how they are displayed, fantastic. A big thankyou to Martial for this. And, once again a huge well done to the CWGC for the exceptional work they do, at the many sites we visited the standard was exceptional.

Drummy

It sounds as like you had the same experience as myself when I first met Martial in 2001.

He went out of his way to make my visit to the area memorable and the Museum that he is

the Curator of is , in my opinion , the best private Museum in the region.

Martial is a vast reservior of knowledge and his forte' to go "Above and Beyond" is outstanding.

Martial and myself have kept in constant contact since our first meeting,(thanks to e-mail) and

through Martial, I have met and kept in contact with Lambis and Tim on the ongoing Fromelles Project

and I feel that it is an honour to call him my friend.

Enough said,and I cannot visit as much as I would wish as Australia is a fair way away.

Peter

Just returned from a 4 day visit to the Somme, Artois and Ypres battlefields, weather absolutely fantastic. One of the highlights was a visit to Fromelles where we visited the site of the new cemetery, and met Martial Delebarre at the Pheasant Wood site where he gave us a short talk on the battle and work going on, he then opened up the Fromelles museum for us and what a treat. An excellent museum and it was clear to see the care and attention given to every exhibit and how they are displayed, fantastic. A big thankyou to Martial for this. And, once again a huge well done to the CWGC for the exceptional work they do, at the many sites we visited the standard was exceptional.

Drummy.

Did you have to contact Martial in advance to arrange a convenient time or is it OK to call in on chance?

Regards

John

Drummy.

Did you have to contact Martial in advance to arrange a convenient time or is it OK to call in on chance?

Regards

John

You normally have to call Martial or Henri in advance for a visit to the musuem although they are open on some Sundays. If you need a translater for Henri my friend in the village sometimes stands in on the talk.

LizM