Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian Expeditionary Force War Diaries

206thCEF

Hello all members. I know that this Forum is mainly about British units BUT, remember that the CEF was part of the British Army of the time. So, sometimes one is looking for informations on a particular Canadian unit that fought side-by-side with a British unit.

So, for those of you interested in a little Canadian content, I have included a direct link with the Library and Archives Canada's website on all the battalions in the CEF. Perhaps some may already know about this website then, this is for the others. Hopefully it will help some members.

Cheers

Joe

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/archivi...02015202_e.html

Thanks for that. I'd mislaid my link and I spent ages looking yesterday without success. You must be a mind reader!

Thank you Andrew. I saw in another post that the website was already known but, hey, a reminder is sometimes needed.

Cheers.

Joe

Here are two websites from members of the CEF Study Group which have organized the war diaries into cataloged format. In addition, there are several teams transcribing the digital war diary files into MS-Word files. Regards Borden Battery

*Canadian Great War Project

This massive database and reference website enables one to research Canadians who participated in the Great War – perhaps the first place to begin any serious research. The website is very extensive and the features are beyond a short abstract - the reader should allocate several hours to fully appreciate it. At present there are over 73,000 database records of individual soldiers in the database. Not all entries have full details but these are being built up soldier by soldier. In addition, there is now a “GrandsonMicheal” section which greatly facilitates the access and reading of many of the digitized CEF war diaries and now a section of BEF war diaries. Marc Leroux is always looking for a few dedicated volunteers to assist in expanding the records base. [A Marc Leroux website][CEF Study Group – March 2007 – Updated]

http://www.canadiangreatwarproject.com

*The Matrix Project - Canadian Expeditionary Force Study Group

The Matrix Project is a unique element of the CEF Study Group. Initially developed and hosted on an associated CEF member's website, the project is an integral part of the CEFSG. The Matrix is a web-based database of collective information provided by the CEFSG Members and provides information on all of the structure and components of the CEF during 1914 to 1919. The main CEF Matrix (the Army Corps and Army Troops) is supported by a number of "Utility Functions" for both the inexperienced and seasoned researcher. The Utility Functions are: Matrix Updates, Navigation Chart, Unit Summary Tables, Great War Maps, CEF Study Group Recommended Websites, Common Abbreviations, ORBAT Directory, and War Diary Links. The Matrix presents most of the information in a "loosely defined" Order of Battle [ORBAT] format. In addition, the Matrix Section has re-transcribed Official History of the Canadian Army in the First World War Canadian Expeditionary Force, 1914-1919, Colonel G. W. L. Nicholson, and C.D. as a true facsimile of the original document.

[CEF Study Group – Jan 2007 – Updated]

http://cefmatrix.blogspot.com/

NOTE: A correctly paginated document at with maps and a Google Earth overlay is now available at http://cefresearch.com/matrix/Nicholson/ For detailed information on The Matrix please see : http://www.cefresearch.com/matrix/

Thanks Joe and Borden Battery, all of that information is incredibly useful to me - and now all in one easy spot! Good work!

You are most welcome. I also have several recommended websites on the AIF. Send me a Private Message with your direct email address and I will forward a pdf file with some 500+ Great War websites.

Regards

Borden Battery

Hello Borden Battery

I have noticed that you have posted details of that fine web-site "Canadian Great War Project".

There is something you might be able to help me with in that despite numerous e-mails sent to Marc over the past 6 months requesting a high res image of the Battle of Festubert April 24/25 1915 image, (detailing the Canadians positions at Festubert May 18-June 1 1915), I have not yet heard anything back from him. I was wondering do you know if he has stopped mailing these requests and if so can you please advise on how I could get one sent.Thanks,

Regards

Mick. :mellow:

Hello Mick

I will check and see if marc is available. I understand he is working to expand his detailed database by several more thousand soldiers, and as a result, he may be highly focused on just the task at hand. In addition, as we all sometimes do, he may be taking a break from all this.

Borden Battery

Marc Leroux also created a VERY USEFUL program for extracting information in bulk from the Library and Archives Canada web sites.

You can find that information here on his Great War Project web site:

http://www.canadiangreatwarproject.com/dl/downloads.asp

It is the utility at the very bottom of the page, however the other utilities are also quite valuable.

Richard

• 1 month later...

Borden Battery,

Received that high res image I was looking for from Marc the other day , Thank you both for responding and it only goes to show what this forum is capable of,

Rgds

Mick