Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Frank Littlechild - Derbys Yeomanry :Labour Corps

Stuart Brown

Any help with this appreciated.

Frank Littlechild is listed on his MIC as Pte 667 & Sgt 669 Derbyshire Yeomanry and also 710885 Labour Corps.

In the remarks box is :-

"Died

Deleted Autho 6AO. "

Theatre of War 3 Egypt

date of entry 27/04/1915

I cannot trace him on Soldiers Died CD or Commonwealth War Graves

Commission.

I have not come across this before, does this mean that he died after the war had

ended or what other possibilities are there?

thanks

Stuart

Stuart

710885 means he was a late 1918 or even 1919 Labour Corps man. Possibly one of those men who signed up again in 1919 to go overseas for burial duties.

Perhaps he died after the CWGC cut off date?

Of course it could be that his details have slipped through the system.

Ian and Ivor,

Thank you very much.

The last line of the MIC (in the Corps section) is Derby Yeomanry(TF) A/Sgt 667.

So if he did sign up again for the Labour Corps it appears that he returned to the

Yeomanry at some stage.

Thank you,

Stuart

Guest Pete Wood

Can someone please explain to me, in bite-size chunks (thanks), how this man could go from the Labour Corps - with a six figure number - back to a three figure number in the Yeomanry.....

Have I got more to learn about the TF numbering system....?? :o

Hello Jock,

For information the numbering of the group is :-

QSA # No 29005 Tpr 104th Coy Imp Yeo

1415 Star # No 667 Cpl Derby Yeo

BWM # No 669 Sjt Derby Yeo

Victory # No 669 Sjt Derby Yeo

TFEM # No 667 Cpl Derby Yeo

I would think an admin error.

Stuart

Stuart,

can't argue with that.

Here is a suggestion - which I am making up as I type.

Qualifies for trio and TFEM as 667 or 669 Derby Yeo.

Leaves at termination of engagement, which as a TF man he would have been entitled to do up to Apr (?) 16. This at least explains lack of renumbering in Derby Yeo i.e. he's no longer serving by 1917.

Signs up again for Lab Corps in 1919.

Medals issued by Derby Yeo because his LC service is post-war and not germane to his medal entitlement.

More than happy to be shot down in flames.

Jock

Jock,

Thank you for that, I hadn't seen it that way.

I take your point regarding him being renumbered, 5 digit I think compared with another example

However I do think that he was serving in 1917 as I have a newsclip dated 11 May 1917 where (although Frank is not named) it states that the four sons of retired Sgt Major Littlechild , late Derbyshire Yeomanry, are serving. Admitted Frank could be a fifth son but the papers usually listed all members of the family and their involvement in the war . The newspaper is located in the same town a the medal purchase so I tend to lean a little towards it being relevant.

I appreciate your help.

thanks

Stuart

Guys

Just to confuse the issue!

I have been looking more carefully at his Labour Corps number and my own rcords.

In view of this I think his transfer to the Labour Corps was late 1918 rather than 1919. In fact I now think it was probably towards the end of or soon after the end of the war.

Sorry if I have confused matters - that will teach me to reply without checking all the files!

Stuart. Just a thought. This has caught me out a few times I must say. Are you sure it says "Died"? The phrase "Disd" or similar is also used on the MICs at times, and of course means "discharged".

Ivor,

Thank you for last. No confusion for me, grateful for your and Ian's observation on it being a late number.

Chris,

Thank you. The guy who carried out the MIC checks is experineced but I will double check when I visit the PRO.

Stuart