Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RE Sapper to Lieutenant in two years?

Tom W.

Tom

Assuming it is the same man then it looks likely.

To be sure it's the same man then the officer James Ambrose Dartnall has a file at the NA under the following reference:

WO339/98088 DARTNALL J [1914-1922]

It should hopefully have his original attestation papers in it if he was commissioned from the ranks. Perhaps you, or somebody on your behalf, can have a look at the file.

Hope it helps.

Steve

Hi Tom

He was an architect, see here

http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/archi...l.php?id=100493

I have emailed you his medal card which is too big to post. It was common for men in the ranks to be commissioned RE owing to special civilian experience.

This would appear to be him:

England & Wales, Death Index: 1984-2005

Name: James Ambrose Dartnall

Birth Date: 8 May 1889

Death Registration Month/Year: Mar 1985

Age at death (estimated): 95

Registration district: Colchester

Inferred County: Essex

Volume: 9

Page: 2859

England & Wales, FreeBMD Marriage Index: 1837-1915

Name: James A Dartnall

Year of Registration: 1916

Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar

Spouse: Florence M Major

Hallo all,

Mr.James Ambrose Dartnall was my Grandfather and yes he was in the R.E.'s during the Great war. If anyone has anymore information on him I would be deeply indebted as I am doing a family tree. My Grandmother (his wife) was Florance Mary Major, one of his daughters Hilda was my mother, who was born in 1919. He was an architect and lived in Leytonstone London, before moving to Westcliffe on Sea, then in his final years to Frinton-on-Sea, Essex. I would love to hear from anyone that has any information on him. I believe he had a practice either at or very near to Ludgate Hill in London.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Jacky,

Last week I was admiring the architecture of the Leytonstone public library (pure art deco) which was designed by your Grandfather. Did you already know this?

cakey

Hallo all,

Mr.James Ambrose Dartnall was my Grandfather and yes he was in the R.E.'s during the Great war. If anyone has anymore information on him I would be deeply indebted as I am doing a family tree. My Grandmother (his wife) was Florance Mary Major, one of his daughters Hilda was my mother, who was born in 1919. He was an architect and lived in Leytonstone London, before moving to Westcliffe on Sea, then in his final years to Frinton-on-Sea, Essex. I would love to hear from anyone that has any information on him. I believe he had a practice either at or very near to Ludgate Hill in London.

Guest dartnall2000

hello jacky

I do have information on james ambrose dartnall and our dartnall family.

would love to share information with another relative we have quite a lot of info going back to 1775 where we hit a bit of a wall.

several other researchers are also working on our line.

love to hear from you on edwslsj@iprimus.com.au

linda edwards in aus.

Hi, Jacky.

Would you like this postcard? I bought it for only $2, so I would be glad to send it to you . If so, just give me your address by private message.

Or email me at trickcyclist5--at--yahoo--dot--com.

Hello Jacky,

Last week I was admiring the architecture of the Leytonstone public library (pure art deco) which was designed by your Grandfather. Did you already know this?

cakey

Hello cakey,

Yes I did know my Grandfather was responsible for Leystonstone library, and in Leystonstone High st above I believe it was Boots was a plague to my Great Grandfather Henry Herbert Dartnall who designed a lot of the High St there. I love that type of architecture. Thank you cakey for your kindness in telling me, I just happen to be fortunate enough to know, but thank you once again.

hello jacky

I do have information on james ambrose dartnall and our dartnall family.

would love to share information with another relative we have quite a lot of info going back to 1775 where we hit a bit of a wall.

several other researchers are also working on our line.

love to hear from you on edwslsj@iprimus.com.au

linda edwards in aus.

Hello Linda,

I have emailed you but I thought I would also let you know here that I have so as you can check you junk box incase my email lands there. I look forward to your reply to it.

Hi, Jacky.

Would you like this postcard? I bought it for only $2, so I would be glad to send it to you . If so, just give me your address by private message.

Or email me at trickcyclist5--at--yahoo--dot--com.

Hello Tom,

I have emailed you but I am letting you know here also incase my email ends up in your junk mail smile. I was very touched by your offer Tom and I have replied to it in my email to you. It is so kind of you. I hope to hear from you soon.