Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 veteran interviews - 1980s

Paul Nixon

Back in the 1980s I was privileged to meet, interview and correspond with a number of WW1 veterans. I've used extracts from some of these interviews on my Chailey site but for the most part they've been gathering dust for the last twenty odd years.

And so I've taken the decision to publish the men's words on-line. I've just uploaded my interview (and a cracking photo of the Leics Yeomanry) with Henry Thirlby Hack MM of the Leicestershire Yeomanry, and others will follow.

As I've mentioned on the site, if anybody would like to quote from anything I'm publishing, please feel free to do so, but I'd appreciate it if, in any future work, you acknowledge the source.

Here's the link: World War 1 Veterans.

Paul

Hi Paul

That is extremely generous of you to share your interviews and they are fascinating reading. Bookmarked!

Great stuff Paul. Will be visiting your site again, very interesting.

You did this when you were very young , didn't you?

Cheers Mike

You're welcome folks and yes Mike, I was 18 or 19 when I met most of these men; very glad I did so and not an opportunity that today's late teens are going to have with regard to WW1. Some of my questions at the time were a little naive but nevertheless, I did end up with some good interviews.

Paul

Yes, you did. Very natural. It's lovely to hear the men's voices come through as if it were yesterday.

I enjoyed peeping at the rest of your blogs, too!

Gwyn

Hello Paul

This Blog is being included in the CEF Study Group website list. Nice work. Borden Battery

I have to agree. Maybe you're a natural interviewer, or maybe it was just the confidence of youth, but the voices did indeed come through.

I wish I had been as keen on ww1 then as I am now. I did meet a few veterans, but never asked any questions.

I remember in 1966 a trip to Earl Haig factory in Edinburgh. I can see these men now.

Cheers Mike

great reading there

lookin forward to some more

sounds like thirlby liked to reminisce,great stuff

paul

Thanks for sharing this work with us, I was a generantion that had these great characters around us, but did not realise it! People like yourself I have noting but admiration, becuase you help to keep thier memories alive, which is priceless in my book. Well done!

Delboy

Thanks for your comments everybody.

I've just posted about 50167 Pte Alfred Leonard Wade of the 11th Middlesex. He was the first veteran I interviewed and his story is interesting in that both his officer and his best friend wrote to his wife in England after they believed he had been killed during a trench raid in May 1917. In fact he'd just been wounded, but I copied the two letters when I met Alfred and his wife and I've re-published them on the blog. I'm posting elsewhere on the forum for information about the trench raid.

Paul

Paul,

I have bookmarked this and will sit and read later today/tomorrow. You have been very lucky, not to mention privileged to have spent time interviewing a WWI veteran. I too feel privileged and honoured to have had a father who was a veteran of Ypres, Loos and was injured on the Somme on 1st July 1916. In case you are wondering about the age difference he was one month short of his 60th birthday when I was born in 1956. I spoke to him on numerous occasions about the war however I look back with regret that I did not speak at length and did not record any of this. I can still remember how he told me about a young officer straight out of Sandhurst who blew his whistle and shouted "over the top lads" only to be immediately shot between the eyes. He chuckled when he told me the story - but I guess that was the way they had to deal with it - dark humour. He did at least write his memoirs and I have managed to get these published. He was in the 15th Battalion, Durham Light Infantry - and today my dad and colleagues will be in my thoughts.

Brian Crawford