Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I.C.T. Foot

tjpatti

Hi all,

Can anyone help me with this one? On my chap's Service Record are written the initials I.C.T L. Foot and then in following days just I.C.T. Foot. L obviously refers to Left but can anyone tell me what I.C.T. means? He was hospitalised with this condition at 23rd General Hospital, Etaples, and then transferred for a couple of days to 6 Con[valescent?] Depot before spending a couple of weeks at 3.1.B.D. Rouen which, I'm presuming, is another hospital.

Thanks for reading my post, special thanks if you can help.

Teresa

Inflammation of the Connective Tissue. Basically a catch-all for a significantly sore foot. May have been a tendonitis, sprain, arthritis, or early stages of trench foot (Chilblains). Most likely tendonitis or sprain. Possibly an early stress fracture too-- I've seen this diagnosis used for what was apparently all of these. Doc

then transferred for a couple of days to 6 Con[valescent?] Depot before spending a couple of weeks at 3.1.B.D. Rouen which, I'm presuming, is another hospital.

Teresa

The B.D. refers to Base Depot where your man would have been sent prior to returning to his unit.

There were several Base Depots in Rouen - look at The Long, Long Trail

Inflammation of the Connective Tissue. Basically a catch-all for a significantly sore foot. May have been a tendonitis, sprain, arthritis, or early stages of trench foot (Chilblains). Most likely tendonitis or sprain. Possibly an early stress fracture too-- I've seen this diagnosis used for what was apparently all of these. Doc

Many thanks, Doc. You have no idea how much time I have spent googling these initials in an attempt to find out what what they mean! I did wonder if they might have anything to do with trench foot since my soldier was hospitalised in November 1916 following a very cold and soggy stint on the Somme but, likewise, he could have slipped and sprained his ankle - one thing is for sure, I'll never know for certain what exactly was wrong with him but I know he'd have been limping!

Thanks again,

Teresa

Teresa

The B.D. refers to Base Depot where your man would have been sent prior to returning to his unit.

There were several Base Depots in Rouen - look at The Long, Long Trail

Many thanks, David. I'm quite new to all this WW1 research stuff and some of the initials are quite confusing. I shall look up Base Depots in Rouen and see what I can find.

Thanks again,

Teresa