Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sgt William James Mulrooney DCM MID RE Signals

johnnie

I was wondering if any members might be able to help me.

I am trying to find out more about Sgt William James Mulrooney who served with the 46th Division Signals, RE.

He was MID while he had the number 2013, LG 15/6/1916.

He was then awarded the DCM (while with the number 4920001) which was listed in the LG 1/1/1918. There was a citation published in the LG (17/04/1918)stating the following:

For conspicuouse gallantry and devotion to duty.During the operations he laid and maintained

forward lines,often under heavy shell fire.His courage and coolness in maintaining communication

under every difficulty has been most marked.

I was wondering if any members might be able to suggest what actions the MID and DCM were awarded for?

I assume he was an original member of the 46th Divison as his number is a Territorial number, and he landed in France on the 1st March 1915 which fits in the the 46th Division landing day.

I have managed to find his birth on ancestry in 1889, and I have also found him in the 1891 census when he was living in Tettenhall Wood, Staffordshire, with his father James (born in Roscommon, Ireland, and a PC), his mother Margaret, his sister Kathleen, and a border by the name of Levi Plant (also a PC).

For some reason I have been unable to find him (or his family) on the 1901 census, however I think he must have still be in the area as when his DCM was listed in the LG he is classed as being from Stoke on Trent.

If anybody might be able to suggest which actions the awards were for, or have any further information about him or his family I would love to hear from them. I haven't been able to find his death either which makes me wonder if he left the British Isles after the war. I did find a James Mulrooney arriving in the UK from New York in 1922 who is the same age as his father which might suggest the family have moved overseas.

Any help would be great,

Jonathan

• 5 weeks later...

Just wanted to bring this back up again incase anybody who might be able to help had missed it first time around.

Any help/advice/information would be great.

Jonathan