Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Queen Mary's Needlework Guild

old-ted

My wife has recently purchased a few QMNG badges. There is a bit of information about the guild but not enough to satisfy her interest. Can any forum member suggest any web site, book titles, sources of reference etc. Kathleen would also like to know how many diferent badges or other memorabilia items there are to the guild.

Thanks.

John

John

The Imperial War Museum has a wealth of information, and it is possible to get limited access some to some of the documents, usually only available by visiting. If you use this link

Benevolent Organisations WW1

and then scroll down to the first of the underlined links on the page which says 'Benevolent Organisations 2.2' you will then be confronted with a mass of search results which start with a 110 page document on their work in the war. I'm not sure about badges, but everything else will be there I think! A bit of midnight oil needed :rolleyes:

Sue

Sue,

many thanks for your reply and the link. I suspect Kathleen will be up very late tonight.

Best Wishes.

John

You're welcome. I have several QMNG badges in my collection. They were a very interesting organisation.

You're welcome. I have several QMNG badges in my collection. They were a very interesting organisation.

Thanks matt.

One thing Kath would like to know is a bit about the different badges/medals to the guild.

Regards

John

This needlework program was active at Netley (Royal Victoria) Hospital during the war years. (And other hospitals of course!)

I started a thread showing images from a scrapbook related to Netley's convalescent soldiers, and other photos from my collection. If you check through the thread you will find some more details about how such a program was run.

Netley Hospital Scrapbrook

I have about 12 different ones in the collection, ranging from simple badges through to commemorative medals with clasps on the ribbon. I will try and sort out some pics and can email them to you. Perhaps you could PM me an email address?