Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anyone help with indentifcation of a shell case please?

Guest adrianowlett

Guest adrianowlett

I live in Western France and have recently been given a shell case by an elderly lady who came to this area in 1938, from their family home near Verdun. The 2nd World War was clearly in sight and the family did not wish to relive the carnage that they witnessed at Verdun. The family brought with them quite a few mementoes of the Verdun campaign, including some shell cases of various sizes.

The lady is unsure of the provenance of the shell case she gave me but imagines that it may have been used at Verdun.

The headstamp markings are fairly clear and read: 65 DE L and A RS L113 15 S. There is also some sort of logo type marking towards the outside of the bottom of the shell but it is indistinct.

I am unsure of exactly how a measurement should be made but approximate measurements AT THE WIDEST POINTS are 75mm (rim diameter) and 166mm (length top to bottom)

Whatever the actual provenance of this shell case, any help would be much appreciated.

Hello - It's a French 65x167 shell case for the M-1906 mountain gun. It was made in Rennes in 1915. Regards, Torrey

Guest adrianowlett
Hello - It's a French 65x167 shell case for the M-1906 mountain gun. It was made in Rennes in 1915. Regards, Torrey

Thanks Torrey. That is really great information...... and fast, too. Regards Adrian