Jump to content
Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Do you remember BBC Children's Hour on the radio?


Kate Wills

Recommended Posts

Do any of our members recall listening to a BBC Radio Children's Hour programme called Toytown up to December 1951, featuring a charachter called Ernest the Policeman?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kate

I never listened to the radio series although I do remember my younger sisters watching the TV version in the 60s. This included Ernest.

Dave

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think you would have to be of a certain age to remember the fellow who played the role, Dave. It was Arthur Wynn, who had been a professional baritone in his younger days. I'm trying to find the unit he served with in the war, when he became a member of a concert party.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

But of course I remember, even as a child Larry used to irritate the hell out of me. I can remember Mr Mayor and the policeman (but not his name), and Mr Grocer. I think of Larry when I have a nice chop!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Nigel. That's where I found the date quoted in post#1.

Anyone have any Arthur Wynns on their databases?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This prompted a recollection from a radio documentary years ago that 'Uncle Mac' himself, Derek McCullough, was in constant pain from dreadful injuries suffered during the war. A quick google, rather than intensive research, turned up entries on wikipedia and a site about Ladybird books. He seems to have had a remarkable military career if this is to be believed, serving with 16th Middlesex, Green Howards, RFC and HMS 'Valiant'! He seems to have lost an eye and suffered shrapnel wounds at the Battle of the Somme in 1916, had a lung removed after the war due to complications caused by his wartime injuries (wiki says 'removal of a bullet' but I'm dubious about that). I always knew he'd lost a leg as well and assumed that was a wartime injury. However it seems that was after a car crash in 1938.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 8 years later...
On 29/06/2009 at 07:05, Kate Wills said:

I think you would have to be of a certain age to remember the fellow who played the role, Dave. It was Arthur Wynn, who had been a professional baritone in his younger days. I'm trying to find the unit he served with in the war, when he became a member of a concert party.

I know this quote is pretty old but I've been researching Arthur Wynn the baritone and would love to know more about him.  Any help would be appreciated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎28‎/‎06‎/‎2009 at 23:27, centurion said:

But of course I remember, even as a child Larry used to irritate the hell out of me. I can remember Mr Mayor and the policeman (but not his name), and Mr Grocer. I think of Larry when I have a nice chop!

Mr Grouser, surely: "It ought not to be allowed".

 

Also Dennis, the Dachshund?

 

RM

 

Edit: Growser?

Edited by rolt968
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 28/06/2009 at 23:27, centurion said:

But of course I remember, even as a child Larry used to irritate the hell out of me. I can remember Mr Mayor and the policeman (but not his name), and Mr Grocer. I think of Larry when I have a nice chop!

 

I never found Larry the Lamb irritating. He was a child himself, with whom one could identify. I particularly remember him out with a collecting tin for some cause, and his first beneficient was going to put in a penny, but Larry said, "Can you put in two ha'pennies, so I can raaattle them?"

 

The series was based on books by S G Hulme-Beaman, with whiih I was familiar long before the Children's Hour series..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 29/06/2009 at 05:56, Mark Hone said:

This prompted a recollection from a radio documentary years ago that 'Uncle Mac' himself, Derek McCullough, was in constant pain from dreadful injuries suffered during the war. A quick google, rather than intensive research, turned up entries on wikipedia and a site about Ladybird books. He seems to have had a remarkable military career if this is to be believed, serving with 16th Middlesex, Green Howards, RFC and HMS 'Valiant'! He seems to have lost an eye and suffered shrapnel wounds at the Battle of the Somme in 1916, had a lung removed after the war due to complications caused by his wartime injuries (wiki says 'removal of a bullet' but I'm dubious about that). I always knew he'd lost a leg as well and assumed that was a wartime injury. However it seems that was after a car crash in 1938.

Uncle Mac’s army record can be found on the Ancestry site under his full name - Derek Iver Breashur McCulloch 

Tony

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...