Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Boy Soldier RFA?

KJBunting

Hello my first post, while researching family history came across paybook and other records for my grandfather Arthur Bunting I knew he was born in 1899 and was a soldier in 1920 in Fermoy Ireland where he married my grandmother. I assumed he did not see much WW1 service do to his age, wrong.

He apparantly joined the 87th Battery 2nd Brigade 6th Division RFA as a driver reg no 80990 other records say he entered service in 1915 enlisting for 6-6 ?( does this seem correct) stating he was 18 yrs old MiC shows he received the 15 star. He entered France 7th Nov 1915.

Am I correct in assuming he was a 'Boy Soldier'

I would like to research 'His War' with the RFA. I know the battles the 6th Div were involved in but is it possible to trace the exact areas where his battery would have deployed.

PS fantasticly interesting website.

Hi Bunt. He must have been young. You might be best to try get the unit diary.

Not sure if it's available here

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...amp;queryType=1

If not you can try here.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...hp?showforum=80

You've done well so far, it might be worth paying a professional to get further. I have doe it, and found it well worth any fee.

Cheers Mike

"6+6" is the term of engagement he agreed to serve when he enlisted. Six years full time with the colours and six years on reserve. He was young, but technically not a "boy soldier".

There is a short published history of 6th Division but for real detail of where his unit went and what it did, you need to refer to their war diary as Mike said above. This is held at the National Archives.

Hello Bunt,

The war diary for 2 Brigade Royal Field Artillery is held at the National Archives at Kew under Catalogue Ref. WO 95/1596.

Phil

"6+6" is the term of engagement he agreed to serve when he enlisted. Six years full time with the colours and six years on reserve. He was young, but technically not a "boy soldier".

There is a short published history of 6th Division but for real detail of where his unit went and what it did, you need to refer to their war diary as Mike said above. This is held at the National Archives.

Thanks for the prompt help can you expand more on the "not technically a boy soldier " bit

Bunt

It was possible to join from age 13, with parental permission. That was boy service. There is quite a lot about it on the forum (have a search). Joining at 18 and above was standard, adult, service.

It was possible to join from age 13, with parental permission. That was boy service. There is quite a lot about it on the forum (have a search). Joining at 18 and above was standard, adult, service.

Thanks all for the explanations

• 3 years later...

Hello,

I have just discovered this and other 87 Bty RFA topics on the forum. My name is Capt Chris Bulmer from 97 Bty (Lawson's Company) RA who during the Great War were known as 87 Bty RFA. In other words your Grandfather was a member of our Battery. We have our Battery History book which we have maintained since the 1800's and is currently being restored and digitised and which may well contain information pertaining to your Grandfather. We are also looking into setting up an association website in order to centralise our records, old boys and family groups, although this may take some time. In the short term however we would be happy to give you a copy of what we have and would be very interested in any photos, diarys, records or other information on him that you may hold. Equally if you live in the North Yorkshire are we would be happy to meet you to discuss him.

Regards

Chris Bulmer