Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

emmawall

Hi Emma - and welcome to the forum.

When you say that he is recorded as dying at the battle of Transloy on the Thiepval memorial, where exactly did that information come from? The memorial only shows the names of men who died, and their battalion, not which battle they died in.

If you look at the Long Long Trail link for 50th Division, you will see it mentions three battles in 1916 - all part of the Battle of the Somme. The first is the Battle of Flers Courcelette, which started on 15th September and ran until 22nd Sept, so I would suspect he died in the course of that.

From looking at Barry Cuttell's book, 148 Days on the Somme, the 150th Brigade were attacking south and east of the village of Martinpuich during the early days of the battle

I'm sure there will be some DLI experts along shortly who will be able to give you more details

Alan

Ahh - I see what you mean!

There is no connection between the stone wreath and the men commemorated beneath - but I can see why you might think so!

Alan

Emma,

I am sure Alan will reply in due course but my understanding would be that there is no relevance at all between the crests on the Memorial and the names directly below them, so it appears you may have wrongly assumed that he was killed in that action on Transloy Ridge. The date of his death that you have I feel will be the deciding factor!

There will be some DLI experts along shortly to help guide your research! :D

Regards and best wishes,

Scottie.

Emma,

Taken from Ray Westlake's "British Battalions on the Somme."

Attack on Martinpuich(15/9)-in suppport moved forward at 6.20a.m-in captured positions(Martin and Hook Trenches) by 9.00a.m. In his history of the battalion Major A.L. Raimes recalls an interesting incident. During the night a German appeared and advised the Commanding Officer that if he moved to the trench to the left, he will find a much more comfortable dug-out. Attack on Prue and Starfish Trenches(16/9)- 'B', 'C' and 'D' Companies went forward at 9.00a.m in 3 waves and took end of objective. Bombers attacked German held portion of Prue and Starfish 5.30p.m. (17/9) objective taken as far as The Crescent. Relieved and to Bazentin-le-Grand.

Hope this helps,

Stuart.