Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Coatbridge and the Great War

johnsammc

Hi John

Finally found this thread

Have no idea why I did not see it earlier.

Appreciate your help

regards

Robert

^_^

Hi John,

The following is a list off brothers who all stayed around the Coatbridge area, any chance you could have a quick look.

S/1851 Pte Danial Daly 10th Bn The Gordon Highlanders,

2742 Pte John Daly 1st Bn The Black Watch (Royal Highlanders),

12425 Lance Serjeant Hugh Daly 10th Bn The Highland Light Infantry,

32282 Pte Patrick Daly 6th Bn King`s Own Scottish Borderers,

Many thanks for your time.

Ray

Sorry John,

This post just came up with, View new posts. Thought it was a new one, Just noticed the dates, how did I miss it!!!!.

Sorry again, feel abit of a doughnut now Ha Ha.

Hi all,

I have this book from 1919.It contains well over 1000 photos of servicemen from many regiments.

As ive recieved a huge amount of help on here i want to give something back if i can.If anyone is looking for photos of men from a particular regiment please pm me with you email address and ill send them.

Not all the men are from Coatbridge.Many worked or lived there prior to enlistment.42 regiments are represented.

Hoping i can help

John McCann

Hi John,

Thanks for your offer of photos. My Grandfather, Robert Kerr, was in 13th Royal Scots and was originally from Slamannan but settled in Airdrie after the war. I would be grateful if you could look to see if you have any photos that would match.

Regards,

Hugh

• 4 months later...

Hello John,

My grandfather John Daly,born Armagh,lived in Coatbridge before and after ww1 joined the Royal Irish Fusiliers and had several numbers during service...12325 ,13236, to name a couple.No one in the family ever had a photo of him even though he returned to the area for some years.It would be the answer to our prayers if you traced one.I would be grateful if you could look for me.

Thank you

Hello John,

My grandfather John Daly,born Armagh,lived in Coatbridge before and after ww1 joined the Royal Irish Fusiliers and had several numbers during service...12325 ,13236, to name a couple.No one in the family ever had a photo of him even though he returned to the area for some years.It would be the answer to our prayers if you traced one.I would be grateful if you could look for me.

Thank you

Hi there,

Sadly no photo of John Daly(Daley in the book).Number given is 13236.Battalion given as 6th and the address listed is 16 East Stewart St,Coatbridge.Hope this is of some help

John

• 1 month later...

Is there any lads with the surname "Black" in the book?

If there are then there's an excellent chance I'm a relation. There's heaps of us from that neck of the woods!

John, what's the details of the book by the way? Publisher, page number, author(s) and the like?

Cheers,

Derek.

Is there any lads with the surname "Black" in the book?

If there are then there's an excellent chance I'm a relation. There's heaps of us from that neck of the woods!

John, what's the details of the book by the way? Publisher, page number, author(s) and the like?

Cheers,

Derek.

Derek,

The men are listed by Regiment so its difficult to look for the name. The book was printed in 1919 by Hay,Nisbet and Co in Glasgow and was compiled by the Rev Samuel Lindsay and has 504 pages. If you give me some regiments i`ll lookk for you

John

Derek, if you're looking for a Black with a Coatbridge connection, this may be of interest:

Name: BLACK, DUNCAN

Initials: D

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Black Watch (Royal Highlanders)

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 25/09/1915

Service No: S/7519

Additional information: Son of Mr. and Mrs. John Black, of 3425 Wallace St., Coatbridge, Lanarkshire.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 78 to 83.

Memorial: LOOS MEMORIAL

Hi John

I don't know if you can help, but I am researching my family history and I know before the family moved to Norwich they were living in the Coatbridge area and wondered if there is any reference to anyone called "Boag" in the book. If there is anyone, I wouldn't know what regiment, and I would fully understand if you are unable to help me.

Many thanks

Hi John

I don't know if you can help, but I am researching my family history and I know before the family moved to Norwich they were living in the Coatbridge area and wondered if there is any reference to anyone called "Boag" in the book. If there is anyone, I wouldn't know what regiment, and I would fully understand if you are unable to help me.

Many thanks

Hi there,

I`ve checked the Soldiers Died Great War disc, CWG and the book and i can see no-one of that name listed.

Sorry i can`t be of help

John

CWGC has these 3 with Boag surnames....

001 BOAG AF - 4TH BN 23/03/1916 ARGYLL AND SUTHERLAND HIGHLANDERS

002 BOAG LG 41414 2ND/6TH BN 21/03/1918 NORTH STAFFORDSHIRE REGIMENT

003 POLLOCK D - 1ST BN 18/09/1918 CAMERON HIGHLANDERS

No1 is connected to Rothesay; No 2 is connected to London, however No 3:

Name: POLLOCK

Initials: D

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Cameron Highlanders

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 18/09/1918

Awards: M M

Additional information: Son of Robert and Mary Pollock, of Glasgow; husband of Jane Boag Harper Pollock, of 21, Tarvit St., Edinburgh.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: B. 5.

Cemetery: TREFCON BRITISH CEMETERY, CAULAINCOURT

Which might give you a lead in the Coatbridge area...

Also do these WW2 entries help?

001 BELL A 812185 2ND WING 25/09/1944 - - 26/09/1944 GLIDER PILOT REGIMENT, A.A.C.

002 BOAG G 1554282 214 SQDN 26/08/1944 ROYAL AIR FORCE VOLUNTEER RESERVE

003 HERRING D 145764 157 SQDN 27/01/1944 ROYAL AIR FORCE VOLUNTEER RESERVE

004 LINDSAY AM - MV SHILLONG LONDON 04/04/1943 MERCHANT NAVY

005 MACDONALD WL 580877 115 SQDN 07/04/1940 ROYAL AIR FORCE

006 MAILER J 1766461 24 LT AA REGT 06/06/1942 ROYAL ARTILLERY

007 MURRAY D 14934361 1048 PORT OPERATING COY 25/06/1946 ROYAL ENGINEERS

008 WATSON EJ 81374 135 SQDN 26/02/1942 ROYAL AIR FORCE VOLUNTEER RESERVE

hope it's of some help.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the lateness of my reply guys.

Thanks for the info Kevin, he could well be a relation.

John I would love a copy of the pic, are there biographys on the men or just basic details listed?

Cheers,

Derek.

Hi all,

I have this book from 1919.It contains well over 1000 photos of servicemen from many regiments.

As ive recieved a huge amount of help on here i want to give something back if i can.If anyone is looking for photos of men from a particular regiment please pm me with you email address and ill send them.

Not all the men are from Coatbridge.Many worked or lived there prior to enlistment.42 regiments are represented.

Hoping i can help

John McCann

John

If you remember when we last met in a certain club in Glasgow recently I asked you to send me copies of the photographs of the men of the 15th , 16th & 17th Highland Light Infantry who happen to be in the book.

John

If you remember when we last met in a certain club in Glasgow recently I asked you to send me copies of the photographs of the men of the 15th , 16th & 17th Highland Light Infantry who happen to be in the book.

Oops. I forgot about that mate. The JD has addled my brain. PM me you email address and i`ll send them to you ASAP

John

Andrew,

The men are listed by regiment so if you have an idea of which that`ll help.There are 2 James Kanes on the Coatbridge Memorial ( 1-HLI and 1-R.E ) although i think its a duplicate as i have a photo of James in the R.E his previous regiment was the HLI

John

• 3 years later...

Hi looking for pics of l/corp john boyle 1768 black watch also hugh kane DCM MM Bar duke of wellington regt

• 2 years later...

I believe that there is a photo of James Irving Chambers MM in the book.

He served in the 7th Battalion, Canadian Infantry.

Any chance of a scan/copy of the said photo?

Many thanks,

Ken