Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Coatbridge and the Great War

johnsammc

Hi all,

I have this book from 1919.It contains well over 1000 photos of servicemen from many regiments.

As ive recieved a huge amount of help on here i want to give something back if i can.If anyone is looking for photos of men from a particular regiment please pm me with you email address and ill send them.

Not all the men are from Coatbridge.Many worked or lived there prior to enlistment.42 regiments are represented.

Hoping i can help

John McCann

Hello John,

Thanks for your offer. Do you have anyone by the name of McGOUGAN, or MCGUIGAN?

Regards,

Alf McM

Hi Alf,

Do you have any idea of regiment as thats how the book is laid out.

John

Hi John,

It's a long shot, but could you check your book for Private Peter Hunter, 9th (Service) Battalion Black Watch [Royal Highlanders], Number S/4914? He lived and enlisted in Kirkcaldy, although his family were originally from the Coatbridge/Monklands area. He was my grandfather's uncle.

Thank you,

Brian

Hi John,

It's a long shot, but could you check your book for Private Peter Hunter, 9th (Service) Battalion Black Watch [Royal Highlanders], Number S/4914? He lived and enlisted in Kirkcaldy, although his family were originally from the Coatbridge/Monklands area. He was my grandfather's uncle.

Thank you,

Brian

Hi Brian,

Sadly no record of that name in the book or on the Coatbridge Memorial.Good luck in your searching

John

Hi John,

Would be grateful if you could see if it contains any men of the 16th Lancers

Cheers

John

Hi John,

Thank you for taking the time to look for me. It's another potential source crossed off the list.

Best wishes

Brian

Hi John,

Would be grateful if you could see if it contains any men of the 16th Lancers

Cheers

John

Hi John,

No photos although there is a mention of Trooper John Christie,15067,who resided at 1 Hospital St,Coatbridge.

John

Thanks John,

Super stuff, thats an address added to my database

john

John

I would be grateful for anything you have on these two from 179 Tunnelling Company:

137554 Sapper Alexander Brand, formerly 2463 1/7 Black Watch (born Coatbridge)

79578 Spr James Kerr formerly 6096 Seaforths, DoW 29/03/1917 (enlisted Coatbridge)

And anything on anyone else from 179 or 185 Tunnelling Coys.

Many thanks

John

I would be grateful for anything you have on these two from 179 Tunnelling Company:

137554 Sapper Alexander Brand, formerly 2463 1/7 Black Watch (born Coatbridge)

79578 Spr James Kerr formerly 6096 Seaforths, DoW 29/03/1917 (enlisted Coatbridge)

And anything on anyone else from 179 or 185 Tunnelling Coys.

Many thanks

Hi Simon,

Theres no record of Sapper Brand although i have a photo of Sapper Kerr.If you pm me your email ill send it to you along with the RoH entry.Sadly mate the men are listed as Royal Engineers so i cant see if theres any more

John

That's brilliant John. email on its way.

John,

Please look up the following:-

Moses James Murray, Royal Irish Fusiliers

Alexander McGougan, Scottish Rifles

Daniel McGoogan, Highland Light Infantry

Many thanks for offering to look.

Regards,

Alf McM

Alf,

Sadly no pics but theres a mention of Pte Daniel McGoogan,9463 of the 10th H.L.I whose home is given as 52 Coats St,Coatbridge.

Also a Pte James Murray,5481 of the 1st R.I.F whose home is given as 16 East Stewart St, Coatbridge

Nothing on the other.Hope this helps

John

Hello John,

Thanks for replying so promptly. It's the right Daniel McGoogan, but I'm not sure about James Murray. However it is a good lead to follow, even if just to eliminate him.

Thanks again for looking.

Regards,

Alf McM

Hello the forum.

A big public forum thank you to John McCann, for taking the time to sending me the photographs and bio's of not one, but! forty-three Cameron Highlanders with a Coatbridge and district connection. Actions like this is what make this forum the special place it is!!

Many Thanks John.

Aye Rob.

John: Are there any artillery officers in the book? Regards, Dick Flory

Hello the forum.

A big public forum thank you to John McCann, for taking the time to sending me the photographs and bio's of not one, but! forty-three Cameron Highlanders with a Coatbridge and district connection. Actions like this is what make this forum the special place it is!!

Many Thanks John.

Aye Rob.

Thanks for that Rob.Ive also received a huge amount of help on here so its a pleasure to give a bit back

John

Dick,

I have 10 officers photos.I only have the RoH info 3 of them sadly.If you pm me you email address ill send them to you tomorrow a.m

John

• 1 month later...

Hi John

I'd be gratefull if you could check for a photo of 5757 Thomas McGuire listed as 3rd Bn Connaught Rangers on the Coatbridge Cenotaph later KIA 07/12/1915 with the 5th Bn Connaught Rangers in Salonika, also his Uncle James McGuire Regiment unknown, he survived the war with a plate in his head and his own death certificate as he was listed as KIA.

I would be additionally grateful if you could send me any photos of Connaught Rangers.

Thanks

Sam

Hi john is there a private 6002 daniel dickson of the 12th battalion of the Highland light infantry?

He died on the 19th of january 1916 near haisnes in northern france and is buried in bois-carres cemetery

many thanks

martyn

Hi all,

I have this book from 1919.It contains well over 1000 photos of servicemen from many regiments.

As ive recieved a huge amount of help on here i want to give something back if i can.If anyone is looking for photos of men from a particular regiment please pm me with you email address and ill send them.

Not all the men are from Coatbridge.Many worked or lived there prior to enlistment.42 regiments are represented.

Hoping i can help

John McCann

Hi john is there a private 6002 daniel dickson of the 12th battalion of the Highland light infantry?

He died on the 19th of january 1916 near haisnes in northern france and is buried in bois-carres cemetery

many thanks

martyn

Hi Martyn,

I have Daniels pic and RoH entry.If you pm me your email address i send on

John