Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WR- prefix Royal Engineers service number

tjec

Yet another diversion for this thread!!

I am researching John Garnett Wood

His MIC says he first went to France on 7/11/1915 and he started with the Army Service Corps  Private SS/21628.

He then transferred to the Royal Engineers WR/268118

Finally he acquired a new number 250913 (no prefix).  

Having read all of the posts I think I have learned that he was probably in a railway unit of the RE and there are posts saying that the WR prefix started to be used in March 1918.  Does that suggest that he probably joined the RE after that date?

Also, can anyone explain the new number allocation?  When might that have happened and why?

Thanks

Sue L

Sorry me again

Just to say I have documents dated June 1919 which use the WR/268118 number.  I am wondering if the 250913 number might actually have come before the WR number, even though it is listed afterwards on the MIC

Ive attached the MIC if that helps

Thanks

Sue

medal card.jpg

23 hours ago, Sue L said:

Sorry me again

Just to say I have documents dated June 1919 which use the WR/268118 number.  I am wondering if the 250913 number might actually have come before the WR number, even though it is listed afterwards on the MIC

Sue

Based on the service record of Charles Thompson, Royal Engineers #250910 I’d suggest you are correct and that 250913 service number came before the WR/268118 renumbering.  Thompson was also previously Army Service Corps and his record shows he was compulsorily transferred to the Royal Engineers on 1st May 1917.

Regards

Steve

I have a pair to John Davies WR/350199 - who died on 26th Feb 1918. Am I right to assume that he was uniquely renumbered after his death?

Regards,

Mike

• 1 month later...

Sorry to reopen this feed again but it’s been a real eye opener. My great grandfather having two service numbers with the latter being WR/503044. It hasn’t given me much on what he has done during his time on service but it’s given me an idea as to what he would of worked on. 

Thank you. 

He was with the Inland Waterways Transport and Docks but it is not possible to say what his role was although his rank of Sapper indicates he had a trade of some sought.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

• 2 months later...

I have joined the forum after reading the post quoted below.

My Great Grand Father is W. G. Pridmore 96501 SPR R.E. I have his WW1 service medals that were given to me by my Grand Mother.

I would like to get in touch with Ian Finlay but I am not allowed to send him a message on here.

Could someone email him for me and tell him I have information he might be interested in please? Can an admin send him my email address?

Thanks for the photograph of W.G Pridmore Ian, it is the first time I have seen him.

Thanks.

On 29/08/2015 at 02:05, ianfinlay said:

Hi, I've just been through this entire thread, but my ancestors WR27796 , 5 digits

My Great Grand Father William George PRIDMORE was a Royal Engineer and I wanted some guidance on narrowing down his Company within the Royal Engineers

Known Details:

Name: William George PRIDMORE

D.O.B. : 12APR1880 Islington London

Age @ 1915: 35 (note: unclear if enlisted or conscripted)
Medal Index Card: = Royal Engineer, WR27746 Army No: 96501,
Medal Index Record: Royal Engineers RandQ (Roads and Quarries)
Additional Photo's: One with RE on shoulder

Before & After WWI: London County Council Trams Car Conductor

L.C.C. Honor Role: RE Sapper 1915-1919 France

Additional : I have a Photo of him in a hospital (possibly an Egyptian Hospital, given mosquito nets above beds, not sure if taken after WW1 as dark collars on servicemen in background wasn't a WW1 uniform), with Corporal chevrons on the clipboard behind his bed, but L.L.C. honor role shows his rank as Sapper!

Particular assessment by 'Old Sweats' would be appreciated

note: I searched about 15 WR numbers either side of WR27796 obtained from ancestry.com and searched for them on on Forces War Records and none were in their records at all ! (I no longer have access to the National Archives or PRO at Kew as now living in Australia, any assistance appreciated)

Any Help Appreciated - Thanks in Adv.

[*********************** Correction made Name change from George William PRIDMORE to William George PRIDMORE **********************************************]

post-124127-0-60648500-1440809550_thumb.

50 minutes ago, Graham G said:

Could someone email him for me and tell him I have information he might be interested in please? Can an admin send him my email address?

Hi Graham, and welcome to the forum. If you make one more post, you can use the messaging system which will send a message to the email address that we hold for the person you want to contact. Why not go over to the Forum Pals section and introduce yourself.

Keith Roberts

GWF Team

4 minutes ago, keithmroberts said:

Hi Graham, and welcome to the forum. If you make one more post, you can use the messaging system which will send a message to the email address that we hold for the person you want to contact. Why not go over to the Forum Pals section and introduce yourself.

Keith Roberts

GWF Team

Hey Keith, thanks for the welcome and info.