Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WR- prefix Royal Engineers service number

tjec

Thanks Dave.

I hadn't found his service record, I had his unit and religion mixed. I thought RCC was probably Roman Catholic Church!!

• 1 month later...

Can anyone help with my search for info on my grandfathers regiment /battalion here's the details I've found so far ......

Arthur Jenkinson Orley

dob 1898 Scarborough

served approx. 1916 to 1919​

Royal Engineers / Northumberland Fusiliers

Army number 51828

WR 335840

I know the prefix WR stands for waterways and railways , would like to find where his regiment served many thanks....Steve

Can anyone help with my search for info on my grandfathers regiment /battalion here's the details I've found so far ......

Arthur Jenkinson Orley

dob 1898 Scarborough

served approx. 1916 to 1919​

Royal Engineers / Northumberland Fusiliers

Army number 51828

WR 335840

I know the prefix WR stands for waterways and railways , would like to find where his regiment served many thanks....Steve

The medal roll states he was with the Inland Waterways & Docks companies RE, nothing more specific than that though.

There is also a Merchant Navy WW1 medal card for an Arthur Jenkinson Orley, born Scarboro' 1898. There ia an article in the Hartlepool Mail (27th May 1952) that suggests he was ex Royal Navy, Merchant Navy and ex Army.

I see he became the Mayor of Hartlepool, so you probably already have all this info but if not give me a shout and I'll save the news clipping.

He didn't do bad really for a boy who started out as a cook on a fishing trawler !

Mick.

Mick.

Thanks Mick i do have his merchant navy medal card details and the Hartlepol Mail article too, just trying to find about his Royal Engineers story ..cheers Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I'm afraid I've got another query. I have a soldier whose numbers were Worcester Regiment 32842 Hampshire Regiment 32726 Royal Engineers 251257 and W/R 23378. I gather the last is Waterways and Railways and I can probably find out no more about that one. Is there any way that I can find out whivh battalion he was in with the Worcs and Hants,

Also I have another soldier (Kings Liverpool 1st Bttn) who wrote home asking for stripes to be sent (he was a sergeant). What these have been. As far as I know he hadn't been wounded.

Many thanks Susan

I have a soldier whose numbers were Worcester Regiment 32842 Hampshire Regiment 32726 Royal Engineers 251257 and W/R 23378. I gather the last is Waterways and Railways and I can probably find out no more about that one. Is there any way that I can find out whivh battalion he was in with the Worcs and Hants,

Just a small snippet but there is a little more that you can find out with the five-digit WR/ prefixed Royal Engineers number. A five-digit number indicates that he was with one of the Roads & Quarries Companies when renumbered.

Steve

• 7 months later...
On 21 April 2014 at 11:52, Glen said:

Just found this post whilst searching for something else, but I hope that I can address some of the frequent questions. I have looked in detail at the WR/ numbers listed on CWGC.

Firstly all numbers should contain 6 digits, CWGC has some that are 5 digits that appear to br typos.

I have compiled a database of all WR/ numbers and then sorted the list by number. The vast majority of numbers in the WR/100000 and 200000 series, where a unit is shown are in Railway Companies. For 300000 the majority are IWT, (with a small group of 3552xx being the exception)

There are only 23 listed with WR/4xxxxx and only 6 of those have a unit shown (5 Railway and 1 Roads and Quarries). The 5xxxxx and 6xxxxx numbers are all IWT (with a single Raiway exception)

The image below shows some extracts from this database.

WR2.jpg

My grandfather was wounded at Gallipoli whilst serving with Hampshire Regiment in September 1915, he was sent back to UK & when fit again transferred to the Royal Engineers. His service No was WR/286070, it appears that may have been a Railway 

Company. I am trying to identify when this may have happened & what unit/company he was transferred to? Before the war he had worked on the Southern Railway

My grandfather Edward V Joyce was wounded at Gallipoli in September 1915. He was evacuated to UK & when considered fit enough transferred to Royal Engineers. His service no was WR/286070 & I believe that may have been a Railway Company or Unit. I am trying to identify dates when he was transferred, the actual Unit or Company he was assigned to & where he may have served. Any help would be appreciated. Before the war he had worked on the Southern Railway

On 7 July 2016 at 16:02, MSJ said:

I am trying to contact GLEN who posted the following sometime ago - 

'Just found this post whilst searching for something else, but I hope that I can address some of the frequent questions. I have looked in detail at the WR/ numbers listed on CWGC.

Firstly all numbers should contain 6 digits, CWGC has some that are 5 digits that appear to br typos.

I have compiled a database of all WR/ numbers and then sorted the list by number. The vast majority of numbers in the WR/100000 and 200000 series, where a unit is shown are in Railway Companies. For 300000 the majority are IWT, (with a small group of 3552xx being the exception)

There are only 23 listed with WR/4xxxxx and only 6 of those have a unit shown (5 Railway and 1 Roads and Quarries). The 5xxxxx and 6xxxxx numbers are all IWT (with a single Raiway exception)

The image below shows some extracts from this database.'

My grandfather was discharged from the Royal Victoria Hospital sometime in late 1915 having been wounded at Gallipoli. He was then transferred to the Royal Engineers No WR/286070 I am trying to establish dates & what company/unit he went to, it was probably 'Railway' as before the war he worked on the railway. It would also be good to identify whether he was sent overseas again.

Thanks for any further help, you have all been great so far

According to the RE Medal Rolls, 286070 Sapper Edward V Joyce was in a Railway company, but they do not identify which one. There are very few in my records with WR/28XXXX numbers so I can't make a meaningful search to identify the company

Not off hand, but will try to work something out over the weekend based on data I have available

On ‎07‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 17:02, MSJ said:
On ‎07‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 17:02, MSJ said:

Roads and Quarries troops are 5 digit WR numbers, except regulars who are 1, 2 or 3 digits.....  So not typos as suggested above.

Cheers,

Dave

• 1 month later...

A quick question; I recently picked up a Victory Medal to a Private in the St Helen's Pioneers who later transferred over to the RE as a Sapper. His service records don't seem to exist so I've been drawing what conclusions I can from his service numbers - 40206 for the S Lancs and WR/332968 for RE. The former suggests to me that he joined up around March 1917 and went overseas with the Pioneers on about 20 June 1917, presumably transferring over to the Engineers some time after that date. I then gather from the medal roll that with the Engineers he was in the Inland Water Transport section (which I think means potentially barges, port construction and manning docks?). What I was wondering about is (I) the perennial question - does his number give any more hints other than IWT as to the company he served in, and (ii) does it give any hints as to when he might have transferred over to the Engineers? I am guessing from the fact that he has only the one, WR-prefixed, number that he must have been transferred over after the general renumbering took place (which, depending upon when it was opens up the interesting prospect that he was with the St. Helen's Pioneers during the Michael Offensive) - but is that a safe assumption to make?

Many thanks,

Anthony

Edited by Manipled Mutineer

Thanks Terry, I thought that may have been the case, which does seem to hold it open as a possibility. I'll have  a look in the Btn war diary just in case.

• 1 year later...

Seeing this topic on the forum I thought I would resurrect it to get an opinion on a man I am looking into. Only his MIC and medal roll entries have survived. His name was Charles Dunsdon and according to his medal roll entry he starts off in the 4th Bn Coldstream Guards with the number 14404. Transfers to the Black Watch with the number 313057 and then to the Royal Engineers with the number WR/126194 and finally back to the 1/7th Black Watch with the same no he had previously 313057. Is there a link between the Black Watch and the RE here or am I barking up the wrong tree?  

Edited by TrevorHH

Trevor

There is no link between them. His WR number indicates he was with a railway unit of some type. His WR number was issued sometime after March 1918 when the WR pre-fixed numbers were authorised.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

7 hours ago, Terry_Reeves said:

Trevor

There is no link between them. His WR number indicates he was with a railway unit of some type. His WR number was issued sometime after March 1918 when the WR pre-fixed numbers were authorised.

TR

Hi Terry

I am researching a soldier with WR 355066 service No as a A/WO class 1 and he was discharged to a commission on 30 Nov 1916. Just clarifying the above as I am trying to work out when he was promoted to WO 1 as I have to wait for my trip to Kew next year.

Peter

Peter

He served with the Inland Water Transport. His pre WR number was 138102 which puts his enlistment date around November / December 1915.

There is something odd about this though. His WR number was issued sometime after March 1918, yet he was commissioned in 1916. Looking at his MIC, I note that the WR number is written as an addition, and I suspect is an error. 

Looking at the 1911 census he was a water supply engineer aged 30. It was not that unusual for well qualified men to be rapidly promoted particularly if they had had some management experience.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves