Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WR- prefix Royal Engineers service number

tjec

I have a man on Roll as WR303591 and IWD

on MIC as WE303591 (error I think)

I thought Inland Waterways and Drainage - is that right? Do the numbers reveal anything? I think he joined RE c. 1918.

Thanks very much Terry

Does the WR prefix relate directly to such a designation? (or WE?)

Patrick

Generally, Waterways and Railways, but bear in mind Roads and Quarry Companies also had this prefix.

Thanks again Terry, the Roll clearly says he was IWD so that must mean the former.

Strangely, the MIC appears like prefix WE (does that mean anything?) but this may be an error as the actual Roll has IWD and prefix WR. Did prefixes change if men moved RE units and numbers stay the same?

Patrick

Strangely, the MIC appears like prefix WE (does that mean anything?) but this may be an error as the actual Roll has IWD and prefix WR. Did prefixes change if men moved RE units and numbers stay the same?

Patrick

I've had a look at the MIC and the prefix, in my opinion, is WR and not WE. Your man was transferred to the RE before the 1918 numbering change as he was initially allocated the number 357282 before being renumbered to WR/303591. The renumbering doesn't mean that he necessarily changed RE units though.

Steve

in my opinion, is WR and not WE. Your man was transferred to the RE before the 1918 numbering change as he was initially allocated the number 357282 before being renumbered to WR/303591

Thanks very much Steve, now you say it I can see it myself :thumbsup: Strange how you see what you think you see. Any idea when the re-numbering in 1918 took place (trying to work out his transfer). He was in his previous unit at end of 1917.

• 5 months later...

I hope you don't mind me resurrecting this thread but I've learnt more in reading this than I had pieced together before! My Grandfather was in the Royal Engineers but his service record was destroyed and apart from the medal roll I hadn't been able to put together much of his history. So it came as a surprise to find the definition of WR. However his record shows the following:

Name:

John H Irving

Regiment or Corps: Royal Engineers, Liverpool Regiment, Royal Engineers

Regimental Number:

WR/305191, 4422, 271969

while the medal card adds

Medal card of Irving, John H

Corps

Regiment No

Rank

Royal Engineers

Pioneer

Royal Engineers

Corporal 2nd

can anyone shed any light as to when or where he might have served. Also why the listing of RE then Liverpool Regt then RE again?

Any clarification gratefully received.

Ian

Ian

Your man was serving with the Inland Waterways Transport. MICs with multiple numbers are often confusing. In this case he was transferred from the Liverpool Regiment and given the RE number 271969 in the IWT probably in 1916 . In the spring of 1918 all members of the RE Transportation Branch, which came about as a result of the Geddes report the previous year, and which reorganised the administration of such units, were allocated new numbers with a WR prefix.

TR

• 1 month later...

Terry/links2lincs

I started (but never got anywhere near finishing) trying to associate the WR/ prefixed numbers to specific units but came to the same conclusion as Terry in that it wasn't possible.

However, it did appear that numbers were issued in blocks and that the WR/200XXX range of numbers was allocated to the Railway Construction Troops Depot at Longmoor, so I'd tentively suggest that the soldier in question was at Longmoor at the time of renumbering.

As for which unit he served overseas with, Robert Mumby 55605 (later WR/200826) went overseas on 15th February 1915 which tends to suggest either 111th or 112th Railway Company (initially at least).

Hope this helps.

Steve

• 1 year later...

I see this is an old topic but can anyone help with a Royal Engineers number WR175136 and then under it 197581.

And would these numbers give any indication of which years of WW1 this refers to.

Many thanks

Eve

• 5 months later...

Hello - I'm resurrecting this thread again to ask for any help anyone can offer.

I'm trying to find out what my Great Grandad did in the First World War. I know he served in France as a Sapper with the Royal Engineers. I can't find a surviving war record on Ancestory and understand very few survive. His numbers on his medal index card are 67552, WR/251313 - so from that I understand he was in Waterways and Railways which makes sense as he worked for the Great Western Railway before and after the war. Do the numbers point to any unit in particular?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Some railway employment papers have been digitised and are on Ancestry. I can't remember if GWR is included. Sometimes these railway records have been annotated with some info on war service

• 4 months later...

I've got a BWM & VM (his full entitlement) to a soldier (noted as a Private) who had served in 5 different units. KRRC/Training Bn/Cambridgeshire Regt/RE two numbers. The last number being WR284304. Any ideas what unit that would be?

Thanks

Mark

Hi everyone, I have one as well I need help with. Sapper William Bourton IWT. RE 227167 and later WR308263, also ex-GWR. Can the 308xxx block help identify which transport branch ?? Paul

• Admin

Reference this and the previous thread where his name wasn't mentioned, William Bourton did indeed serve at Sandwich for a short while, he was posted there on the 4th January 1917 he probably was there to see if his skills were up to Army standards and and on 6th April1917 he joined the BEF in France. A prewar TF soldier his service record survives and is listed under his Wiltshire Regiment number 5410 his full name is listed as Williiam George Bourton b.abt 1876 or 1879 according to the 1911 Census.

If you have access to anc***y the link is http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?new=1&MSAV=0&msT=1&gss=angs-c&gsfn=william&gsln=bourton&gskw=engineers&sbo=0&uidh=yi4&rank=1&pcat=MIL_DRAFT&h=282748&db=BritishArmyService&indiv=1&hovR=1

where there are 25 pages, unfortunately they don't pin down his RE unit that I can see other than 'Transportation Branch'. However his skill rating was uprated from 'Superior' to 'Very Superior' by the Army so he would have to have worked in a foundry which makes the depot at St Omer above a good bet!

(Also found him in the apprentice registers referred to above (6/8/92) b.1877!!!)

Ken

Ken,

your Ancestry link doesn't work, just comes up with a search again message. Hav e the feeling that Ancestry does this to protect their sources. Personally, no worries as I am an

Ancestry subscriber. Cheers