Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Sims Pte19831 Hampshire Reg

mts

Hi All

My husband has just purchased a Trio to this man (Sims is the family name)

We have his MIC but can't find any other details on Ancestry and I don't know where else to look.

His MIC is interesting and looks like there's a story which would be nice to find if possible.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Mel

post-25542-1245862648.jpg

Mel

"(2B) Balkans" denotes Gallipoli as the first war theatre landing for this soldier. There were three Battalions of the Hampshire Regt there:

2nd- landed 25 April 1915 (well,half of it did and into a cauldron and many losses),

1/8th (IOW Rifles) - landed 9.8.1915,and,

10th - landed 6.8.1915.

It would suggest that your man was part of a reinforcement as his date is shown as 3.10.1915.

The letters and numbers against the medal issues will relate to the original Medal Roll and show which Battalion he served in. You would normally get this info from Kew but I think that the Hampshire Regiment Museum has some info,but not sure how much.

Once you know the Battalion you can find out about it's War Diary and read about it's activities.

Sotonmate

Mel,

The information I have to hand indicates that John Sims initially enlisted 22/12/1914 in the Bedfordshire Regt prior to joining 3rd (Reserve) Bn, Hampshire Regt. He joined 10th Battalion, Hampshire Regiment at Mudros on 04/10/1915 (arriving 03/10/1915), part of a draft of 10 officers and 520 men from 3rd/Hants (originally attached from E.Surrey and Bedfordshire Regts). 10/Hants left Mudros a day later 05/10 landing in Salonika on 06/10/1915. Pte Sims was subsequently discharged to Class Z Army Reserve 16/05/1919 and then re-enlisted in the Hants on 25/06/1919 (age 30 years, 9 months) at Lancaster, allocated regimental no. 06698.

If you send an e-mail to the Royal Hampshire Regiment Museum they should be able to check if Pte Sims has an entry in the post 1919 army number recruitment ledgers that they hold. This will confirm how long his second period of service lasted.

Marc