Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Too many assumptions?

wellsms

Hi,

I'm new to all of this and have, like many people, little to go on when researching relatives.

Family history said that John Willam Green (G Grandfather) who lived in Burnley and survived the war was in the RHA. As the medal rolls have just been published for the letter 'G' I dived in and found a total of zero (using all the various combinations of John, John William John W etc). I did however find a total of 11 RFA and 2 RGA John W Greens and one John William Green (RFA).

After discounting the farrier and the Corporal who has a DCM listed, I'm down to 12.

I know that the 158th (Accrington & Burnley Howitzer) Brigade was 'locally recruited' and that seems a sensible place to be looking but......

Only two of the men have the prefix L to their number (27675 and 23743 although the latter seems to have 2 cards one with the L showing the 1915 Star entitlement and one without showing the Victory and British War medal entitlements). Both men have a Qualifying dates in December 1915 (30th and 29th respectively) and a Qualifying theatre of France. The only Division departing for France in December was the 16th (Irish) whose Locally recruited RFA brigades were the 177th, 180th and 182nd, although they are listed as 'joining' on 22nd February 1916 which conflicts with the December qualifying dates.

How can I find out the 'names' of these 3 brigades?

Is it safe to assume that the men in the 158th would have the 'L' prefix?

And finally is applying this sort of logic to discount men a sensible approach or is the best approach spending time in the National Archives checking those records that still exist (if any)... and expecting to be disappointed.

Any guidance would be appreciated

thanks

Mike

Mike,

I have a copy of my great uncle's MIC but have been unable to locate it online, so I don't believe all the of the surname GREEN has been added yet.

Stu

Stu,

Good point, although the website does say 97% of 'G' are loaded.

Had an interesting conversation with my Dad yesterday. Mentioned I'd posted up the question and, even having discussed trying to find my GGfather before, he suddenly says, "Oh I'll speak to your Uncle Brian, he's supposed to have a stirrup from his army horse... he may have some other information as well!!"

Fingers crossed. I guess it does re-enforce the importance of checking all possible family sources....possibly several times!

cheers

Mike