Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gen. Horace Lockwood Smith-Dorrien

Anthony Pigott

Does anyone know of any sources of information etc., e.g., museum displays, photograph / document repositories, that specifically cover the great man? Books have already been discussed in another thread.

Thanks

Anthony

There are some PRO documents that are in the CAB series but i think most of these will have been covered in the books mentioned previously. Notts museum may have something?

Arm.

• 2 weeks later...

Following some extensive internet searching, I've come up with the Derby Museum, which has a dedicated display in their Military Gallery housing the Sherwood Foresters Collection, and King's College London, housing the Liddell Hart Centre for Military Archives which contains a number of papers.

There are a number of introductory biographies on the usual WW1 sites but nothing very detailed.

I would have expected to find more - perhaps he's still being neglected.

Anthony

History does not go good on the what might have happened in my opinion and Le Cateau is a forgotten battle enless you are a WW1 buff. SD was saved the trench war of 1915-18 and as such we will never know if he was the answer, I beleive he would atleast have been the equal and very probably the better alterantive. John French has alot to answer!

Perhaps we should start a Smith-Dorrien appreciation society? (I jest)

Regards

Arm.

Regards

Arm.

Well, perhaps a society would be going to far :rolleyes: , but a fitting memorial, if only in cyberspace, might not be out of place.

As you say, I'm sure Smith-Dorrien and Le Cateau don't feature very much in the current public conciousness - but perhaps those that do know about the 26 August 1914 ought to try to correct that, especially with the 90th anniversary coming up?

After all, maybe Jellicoe wasn't the only one who could have lost the war in an afternoon!

Anthony

Regards

Arm.

Well, perhaps a society would be going to far :rolleyes: , but a fitting memorial, if only in cyberspace, might not be out of place.

As you say, I'm sure Smith-Dorrien and Le Cateau don't feature very much in the current public conciousness - but perhaps those that do know about the 26 August 1914 ought to try to correct that, especially with the 90th anniversary coming up?

After all, maybe Jellicoe wasn't the only one who could have lost the war in an afternoon!

Anthony

A noble idea but what sort of thing could be done given the resources at hand?

Arm.

A noble idea but what sort of thing could be done given the resources at hand?

Arm.

I suppose its all a question of available source material - hence my original query. I would have expected / hoped there to be collections of personal papers, photos, etc. somewhere but I haven't located anything much yet.

I have the means of putting together a 'professional' web site but you can't do much without content. In principle, there must be a lot somewhere, given the length and activity of his military career.

The other aspect would be to persuade the media to cover his contribution in items dealing with the 90th anniversary of the war. Perhaps contributors here who are involved with that sort of thing could advise?

Anthony

Try:

PRO - CAB 45/206 Sir Horace Smith-Dorrien Diary

PRO - WO 79/62 Smith-Dorrien - Murray Postwar Correspondence Regarding August 1914

IWM - Horace Smith-Dorrien papers

Robert

Anthony,

If you dig deep enough there is lots around. I would say that the hardest task will be preparing and collating the info in time for the 90th ani.

Arm.

Horace is buried in the old town cemetery in Berkhamsted, Herts. A very imposing memorial which I have a photograph of somewhere. His family were local living at Pendley Manor but I am not sure whether or not there are any records surviving locally.

Try:

PRO - CAB 45/206 Sir Horace Smith-Dorrien Diary

PRO - WO 79/62 Smith-Dorrien - Murray Postwar Correspondence Regarding August 1914

IWM - Horace Smith-Dorrien papers

Robert

Thanks for that - I think I must have searched the site rather than the catalogue when I looked.

It's interesting that the diary is listed as 1915 onwards. I wonder whether any original diaries from before that survive; I understand that his published memoirs were filtered of the most contentious material by his wife.

Anthony

Horace is buried in the old town cemetery in Berkhamsted, Herts. A very imposing memorial which I have a photograph of somewhere. His family were local living at Pendley Manor but I am not sure whether or not there are any records surviving locally.

Thanks. Must try to pay a visit next time I'm that way.

Anthony

I understand that his published memoirs were filtered of the most contentious material by his wife.

Anthony

I understand that Haig's wife did this. Perhaps this practice is more common than I first thought.

Robert

• 4 weeks later...

I've just discovered that they've a few pictures and papers at the Dacorum Museum Store at Berkhampstead. I haven't got any details yet.

Regards

Anthony