Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where do I find these men?

abbrover

I am researching the men named on the Bromborough, Wirral, War Memorial but I am unable to find two of the men listed, on the CWGC. Can anyone tell me why they are not on it and help me to find out when these men died. They are

Cpl Alexander McLullich M.G.C. I know nothing at all about this man and can't even find him on the census records.

Pte. Joseph G Hughes 2nd Batt. Ches Reg He may possibly have been born in 1882 in Eastham Cheshire, father Joseph and mother Elizabeth and may also have had a brother John who served with 3rd K.R.R. and died 22 May 1917

thanks

Judith

210 Brigade Machine Gun Company (McLullich's unit), or 210 Company, MGC was the Brigade Machine Gun Company of 210th Brigade, the junior brigade of the 74th (Yeomanry) Division.

The CWGC says: "By 21 November 1917, the Egyptian Expeditionary Force had gained a line about five kilometres west of Jerusalem, but the city was deliberately spared bombardment and direct attack. Very severe fighting followed, lasting until the evening of 8 December, when the 53rd (Welsh) Division on the south, and the 60th (London) and 74th (Yeomanry) Divisions on the west, had captured all the city's prepared defences."

Pals,

Be aware that these two names are very worn on the Bromborough Memorial:

post-20192-1245751471.jpg

[Picture courtesy of Carl Rogerson]

[Edit: the bottom name is Cpl J Hughes, 3/KRRC, Judith's other man's possible brother. I don't have a pic of the panel where Pte Hughes, Cheshire Regt is mentioned]

Judith's transcriptions may need more liberal interpretation.

See also Carl's version here:

Carl's Cam Cheshire War Memorial website - Bromborough page

Cheers,

Mark

[PS Alexander MacLullich looks a cert though - well done!)

Thank you all so much. I never thought of looking under Mac :blush:

I'll check out the possible George Hughes and check his marriage on Cheshire BMD

I know the memorial is worn but the list of names I have came from the Bromborough Society and was compiled many years ago when the monument was in better condition, although they clearly got MacLullich's name wrong!

Thanks again I'm very grateful

Judith

John

Found a mariage for a Joseph George Hughes to Mary Alice Carey in 1908 so looks hopeful, I'll check out the parish registers next time I'm at the record office, thanks again

Judith

I was walking through Bromborough churchyard today and glanced at one of the headstones as I passed. Some army details and killed in France caught my eye so I went to have a closer look. I was amazed to find that it was the parents of Joseph George Hughes with him and his brother John (see previous replies) mentioned. It confirmed that my Joseph George is in fact the George Hughes mentioned above. So once again thanks for the help.

Good result Judith. Well done.

John

Thank you all so much. I never thought of looking under Mac

The way Mac/Mc is indexed in English records can be confusing.