Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Confusion with Canadian Units

Promenade

I am researching No 77475 Robert Alexander Rankine Campbell a man who enlisted in the Canadian Army (and was later killed as an officer with the British Army) and need some help to unravel his Canadian units. In September 1914 he joined the Rocky Mountain Rangers, 30th Battalion Canadian Infantry at Victoria BC as No 77475 being promoted Sergeant in November 1914. However there is also a statement on his papers saying that he served in 102 Regt Canadian Militia from 15 September 1914 to 1 November 1914, and with 30 Battalion CEF 1/11/14 to 1/5/15. I do know that he arrived in the UK in March 1915 and was sent with reinforcements to the 15th Battalion Canadian Infantry (48th Highlanders of Canada) at the front on 1 May 1915.

I cannot find a reference to 30 Battalion in Becks Orbat listing does anyone know their history? What was 102 Regt Canadian Militia?

Tks

Joe

Joe,

30th Battalion you say? That is interesting I`ve never heard of this Battalion. I know that doesn`t help very much, but should you find anythin out, please post it on this site, as I`d like to know more myself. I fear you`ve opened a real can of worms here Joe. Maybe they didn`t serve in France?

Gordon.

Joe,

This will add more confusion.

The 102nd "Rocky Mountain Rangers" were a pre-war Non Active Perminent Militia Regiment. This unit was not mobilized and was not part of the CEF. However, men enlisted from its ranks and it did provide drafts later in the war.

The 30th "British Columbia Battalion" Bn CEF was not mobilized until 15 March 1915 with its HQ in Victoria.. Oddly one source says they shipped to the UK on 28 February 1915. I suspect this to be a typo and the actual sailing date to be April or May, or it was actually formed in the UK. Once in the UK they became a Reserve Battalion and were utilized for other than Infantry Reinforcements to France. I believe that they were located at Seaford Camp and were later absorbed by the 1st Reserve Battalion by the beginning of 1918. Have never before seen the 30th called the "Rocky Mountain Rangers".

His number of 77475 was from the block issued to the 30th Btn and in all probability not issued until at least 15 March 1915.

Chances are your man was first a member of the 102nd Militia then enlisted into the CEF as part of the 30th Battalion and ended up as a reinforcement for the 15th Bn CEF.

Joe Sweeney

Here's the way I see it, from sunny British Columbia :D

The 30th Battalion formed in Victoria, BC in the fall of 1914. Thus Campbell enlisting and attesting on November 10th works.

I believe they sailed for England February 23rd 1915, with 980 other ranks and 35 officers under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel J.A. Hall. Thus his arrival in March works.

In England, they became the 30th Reserve Battalion, absorbing and training the 62nd BC and the 131st Westminster Battalions, and then were absorbed by the 1st (BC) Reserve Battalion. Ultimately, many men of the 30th would have served at the front with 7th, 29th, and 72nd Battalions. Campbell was sent to 15th (48th Highlanders) Btn.

Joe is right, 30th Btn were never known as Rocky Mountain Rangers. However, Many RMR militia men went into 102nd Battalion North British Columbians.

"your man was first a member of the 102nd Militia [Regiment], then enlisted into the CEF as part of the 30th [bC] Battalion [November 14], and ended up as a reinforcement for the 15th Bn CEF [May 15]." This all rings true.

The date of mobilization seems just to be paperwork; I have many men from many battalions enlisting and attesting and receiving regimental numbers well before the so-called "mobilization date." I wouldn't trust it.

Hope everybody is having a most excellent Easter weekend.

Peter in Vancouver

P.S. We have that blasted Sam Hughes to blame for this mess. Why didn't somebody stop him when he re-jigged the mobilization plan !! :angry:

Peter,

Interesting, point on mobilization dates. There actually are a few CEF battalions that are recorded as sailing prior to their mobilization dates. I had assumed that the sail dates to be wrong.

Joe Sweeney

We have that blasted Sam Hughes to blame for this mess.  Why didn't somebody stop him when he re-jigged the mobilization plan !!

Hi Broz:

That would make life far too easy and remove the frustration from the thrill of the hunt. ;) God bless Sir Sam. :lol:

Garth

Hey what can I say but many thanks to you all - a definite learning experience for me. In my mind my confusion has lifted and I will include the information that has come to light in these postings in my write up - which I will post for interest.

As ever in the Great War many things are exceptions to the rules and are more complex than first thought - if it were too easy everyone could do it!

Many Thanks

Joe Devereux