Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identify Regiment

martinclift

Thank you all for the replies. I think we can clearly state 'South Lancashire Regiment' is the one.

Now that gives me a further problem.

My Grandfather died in 1940. The Shrewsbury Chronicle Newspaper, which is also where he worked, printed an obituary on 26th July, 1940 which states that he served in France with the Machine Gun Corps (as Private No. 154918) and that he was wounded. However, when I check his MIC 154918 is the only regimental number recorded. So is it possible that he was issued this number when he joined the South Lancashire Regiment and the same number was used in the Machine Gun Corps?

Martin

Martin, the short answer is no, he would have had different numbers for each unit he was in. Do you know anything else about his movements between 1914 and 1918 ? Is there a surving entry on Ancestry ?

Hi. Thanks for your reply.

No is the short answer where Ancestry is concerned.

William was born in 1899 so that would give some indication as to when he joined up. The full photo of him is not dated, but you can see he isn't very old. The obit, as I have said, was in the newspaper where he was a compositor, so I would guess they would know if the information was correct(he actually worked for them before the war as well.

The family state that as far as they know he joined up at Oswestry, Shrophire, the same place as the South Lancs were recruiting.

Any ideas?

Martin

Marrtin

William may well have enlisted into the South Lancs but before he arrived overseas he had transferred to the MGC hence no mention of the South Lancs on the MIC (these cards only record units that a man served overseas with). The 13th (Reserve) BN South Lancs was raised in Oswestry during September 1915

cheers, Jon

Thanks Jon.

I must admit I was becoming a little despondent as I couldn't work out why he was wearing the South Lancs uniform.

Now that do I know I can be on my way.

Many thanks again, Jon

Martin

One of my uncles was an East Surrey but went overseas with MGC.