Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Queen's .R.

Trevor H

I am currently trying to find information as to where my Great Grandfather Ernest Arthur Hinde (born Olney) may have served during the war.

The details I have from his medals (Victory & British War Medal) are inscribed with: 47715 PTE E.A. HINDE The Queen's R... these are the details I would assume to be correct. The problem is I also have a second service number from the memoirs of my Grandfather Reg Hinde (son of Ernest) who was very meticulous and took great care and pride in the recording of family details such as these, particularly with dates and numbers, according to his memoirs his number was 74261 and he served with The Queens Royal West Surrey Regiment, I guess that means he is thereabouts with the regiment but the differant service numbers have confused me.

If anyone can shed some light on this or supply more info on my Great Grandfathers service history it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Trevor H. (Australia)

He served under both numbers with the Queens (Queens Royal West Surrey Regiment) and the Labour Corps. The second number you've given is that of the Labour Corp. Below is his Medal Index Card that confirms the 2 medals you've got and his serial numbers.

35015498.jpg

He served under both numbers with the Queens (Queens Royal West Surrey Regiment) and the Labour Corps. The second number you've given is that of the Labour Corp. Below is his Medal Index Card that confirms the 2 medals you've got and his serial numbers.

35015498.jpg

I cannot thank you enough for such a prompt reply and to see his medal index card is just fantastic.

I have noticed the spelling of his last name is wrong they have it as Hindle not Hinde by the look of it, is this unusual as the Reg numbers are exact.

Are you able to advise me as to where I should go next to find out where he may served or what he may have done with The Queen's R?

Once again many thanks for your reply and info.

Regards,

Trevor H.

Trevor

His Labour Corps number places him in 124 Company which was formed in May 1917 from the 16th Infantry Labour Company, Queens

If you send me your email address I will send you the information we have about where the 16th ILC Queens and 124 Company were stationed. Although, of course, without his service record I cannot be certain that he was not transferred to another Labour Corps Company.

Ivor

Trevor

His Labour Corps number places him in 124 Company which was formed in May 1917 from the 16th Infantry Labour Company, Queens

If you send me your email address I will send you the information we have about where the 16th ILC Queens and 124 Company were stationed. Although, of course, without his service record I cannot be certain that he was not transferred to another Labour Corps Company.

Ivor

Hello Ivor,

Thank you very much for the reply and information, it is really appreciated, the response I have had in such a short period is fantastic.

My email address is thinde@hotmail.com ..... whatever you can send me will be great.

Thank you Ivor,

Trevor Hinde.