Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Twice in a Lifetime

DirtyDick

Concerns a the above named and covers his experiences from enlisting in the Queen's Westminster Rifles (London Regiment) in 1914 at the age of 17.

Present at the Christmas Truce of 1914; wounded and then commissioned and saw out the war on the western Front in a number of units. Also covers immediate post-war period and his eventual return to duty in 1939 and his service with the BEF in 1940; hence the title.

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

His double experience of war in france wasn't that unusual as many of the higher ranking officers had started in the great war.

So what did you think of it?

Ali

Hello Ali,

The book had a considerable number of interesting snippets, generally of a trivial nature that is of so much interest to us history types! Indeed, the details alluding to battalion life, and more particularly life in the officers' mess, and his discharge were most revealing.

I felt that the writing style was somewhat laboured - unusual punctuation and huge paragraphs - but obviously in keeping with language during the period. I also feel that the original publishers could have tidied up the format a little.

However, on the whole an interesting if, among a sea of similar works, unremarkable work. (That is not to take away from its usefulness as a social document, merely an opinion after having read many similar memoirs.)

Cheers

Richard :)

Richard,

Long shot I know, but does the book contain any mention of this chap

Rifleman R HAINTON

556956, 16th Bn., London Regt (Queen's Westminster Rifles)

who died on 08 December 1917

MONT HUON MILITARY CEMETERY, LE TREPORT

Thanks

Kate

Hello Kate

I'll dig out the book and have a look for the chap (book doesn't have an index of names and places, hence my previous posting!).

Anyone else or a specific action you wish me to look up?

Cheers

Richard

Hello Kate

Sorry, no joy. :( .

Walkington had been commissioned into a Lancashire regiment by 1917.

Had a skim read through but could not see above name.

Richard

Richard,

Many thanks for looking for Hainton.

Would you recommend the book? How much is devoted to WW1?

Hello Kate

1)Around two-thirds is WW1; the remainder either post-war or a description of his service both training the first WW2 conscripts and service in France in 1940.

2) I suppose it depends on what interests you. Overall it is a good acount of life on the WF from 1914-17; but I always find the 'domestic' side - training, hospitalisation, leave and demobbing procedure more interesting.

I picked up my (new) copy on ebay for a couple of quid about a year ago.

Cheers

Richard

• 3 weeks later...

Hellos.

Long shot but does your book (I didn't get the title?) mention either of these two lads?

Rifleman GEORGE RICHARDS

3769, "B" Coy. 1st/16th Bn., London Regt (Queen's Westminster Rifles)

who died age 20

on 30 October 1915

Rifleman RICHARDS, Son of Charles William and Elizabeth Richards, of 46, Dinsmore Road, Balham, London.

Remembered with honour

LIJSSENTHOEK MILITARY CEMETERY

and the Second is;

Lance Corporal THOMAS S. RICHARDS

(originall number - 3774) 551214, 1st/16th Bn., London Regt (Queen's Westminster Rifles)

who died

on 14 April 1917

Remembered with honour

ARRAS MEMORIAL

Yours hopefully

Hello

No mention, unfortunately. Had a quick scan through it again, but he left that regiment in early 1915, received a commission and no more mention is made of it.

Cheers

Richard