Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What was the North Antrim Bn?

Promenade

Can anyone help me identify the North Antrim Bn. It was probably one of the Bns of the Royal Irish Rifles but I can only find a South Antrim Bn.

Thanks

Joe

Joe

I only know of two designated Antrim Battalions of the RIR

The 11th (South Antrim)(Service) Battalion and the 12th (Central Antrim) (Service) Battalion.

See the mother site for service details.

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for your reply. Like you I could not find a North Antrim Bn. The reference came from the officers papers of 2nd Lt Lawford Burne Campbell who was killed with 12 Royal Irish Rifles on 1/7/16. It may be that the term was in popular parlance but was never officially adopted.

Tks

Joe

There may also be an element of confusion because the pre-war designation of Ulster Volunteer units as regiments etc. For e.g many of the men in the 12th Royal Irish Rifles (Central Antrim Volunteers) would have been in the North Antrim Regt. of the UVF.

I've often wondered why they designated the 12th Rifles as 'Central Antrims' when it was recruited from Ballymena, Ballyclare, Larne, Ballymoney, Bushmills and the rural areas in between. That takes you from East Antrim through Mid-Antrim and right on up to the north coast.

Des

PS did you get the war diary stuff on 'Somme post'