Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GWF Conference and Dinner 2010

AlanCurragh

I'm not a participant in this but -

the University of Warwick conference centre (which is actually on the outskirts of Coventry) is good. I haven't any idea about its rates or whether they have minimum group sizes.

I would agree with Keith that especially to anyone unfamiliar with Nottingham the traffic problems are appalling.

Gwyn

I used the Warwick University (also on the outskirts of Coventry) facilities when organising the British Model Soldier Societies annual interbranch competition many years ago. They were excellent then.

If using a uni out of term time could not a deal be done with regard to digs as well

Chris

Universities are businesses now and will charge commercial rates for their facilities. They are not the cheap alternative venues that they were, say, ten years ago. Accommodation will be aimed at Open University summer schools as they'll book in blocks for weeks at a time.

Keith

Please count me in for any further info on this event. Many thanks.

A camp site at Glastonbury after the festival - at least we'll have the mud

I heard Will O'Brien has a large back garden - excellent for camping and free bacon butties too :lol::lol::lol:

Or a nice big house in the country, preferably in the French style, and we could all wear red tabs and have a nice civilised debate about Haig.

I heard Will O'Brien has a large back garden - excellent for camping and free bacon butties too :lol::lol::lol:

Whilst I may work in the banking industry, my bonuses are not sufficiently Fred Goodwin sized to facilitate a large back garden. Bacon butties on the other hand would be freely available to any forum member who dropped in.

How about the bank opening up for the evening as paying-guest accomodation?

How's that for blue-skies thinking!

Might be pushing the envelope a little too far out of the box I fear!

How about the bank opening up for the evening as paying-guest accomodation?

I once went to a pi&&-up at a local bank.

The boys in blue were most interested in why we were carrying someone out of the front door at 2 in the morning.

"Cos he can't stand, occifer."

"Why's he got his trousers round his ankles?"

"He passed out while he was having a sh!t".

Oh Dear John

life as a civil servant

Chris

Now I should be huffing about the "skindlisation" of this thread, however anything that makes people notice it and sign up if interested is a good thing.

It might be a good idea to move back on topic now....thanks for your interest

Alan

Had a bloke working for me once, put him on an assignment in an urea plant in Saudi where he organised some illegal beer production. So having organised a brew up in a pissery my next assignment for him back in the UK was at Bass! Absolutely true.

A Thought came to me during tonight's quiz. How about a 30 minute great war quiz after the evening meal for those still in the bar?

Keith

Very good idea, Keith. Are you volunteering? ;)

Keith

Willing to, although there are probably definitely others with a much wider range of knowledge. That has been demonstrated, but if needs be...

keith

A Thought came to me during tonight's quiz. How about a 30 minute great war quiz after the evening meal for those still in the bar?

Keith

Keith

That's a great idea. Would be happy to help out with this.

Keith, Will

An excellent idea to have some kind of social event in the evening. I would suggest that it may last a little longer than 30 minutes!

Sue

40 questions take over an hour on a Wednesday. Build in drinks breaks, discussion in teams, and we may still be quizzing the next morning!

:lol:

Bruce

40 questions take over an hour on a Wednesday. Build in drinks breaks, discussion in teams, and we may still be quizzing the next morning!

Bruce

I see no problem with that Bruce.................... :P

Peter

Bruce

My mind was thinking along the lines of perhaps some pre-preparation with interested parties forming teams (4 or 5 members to a time). 40-50 questions covering several different Great War areas, with a mixture of easy, medium & hard questions to cater for all levels. Approx 1.5 hours including breaks. -All for a bit of fun but perhaps a small but not insignificant prize to the winning team.

I am not sure about the quantity Will. If we have teams, which I think is good, then there has to be a little more time. Maybe a basic set of 30, with a set of say 5 tie breakers in reserve. It could just be too much otherwise after all that intellectual debate.

Keith