Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GWF Conference and Dinner 2010

AlanCurragh

The Gateway Hotel at Nuttall, on the edge of Nottingham near M1 Jn 26, has hosted small events so may have facilities that aren't overly expensive. There are several hotels near Jn 25 but I don't know anything about them. They're all close to me so I can check if you'd like me to.

Keith

I am more than interested, just give me the nod when its on Whoopee, it will be great to get to know people.

Cheers Roger.

Subject to unforeseen issues, count me in.

Roger

Depending on the date count me in.

Regards Doug.

Any thoughts on perhaps some kind of exhibition space or possibly a merchanidse area? I'm sure there are many of us who perhaps do volunteer work for a local museum or heritage group. Some of these might be of interest to other forum members.

I'd certainly be interested in spending some time browsing some tables, spending some money on books, merchandise etc...

Anyone else like the idea?

Looks like a shoe in to me.

Stephen

Definitely a good idea but how would the stallholders feel if it was necessary to charge for tables? If their inclusion pushed the space required over the threshold for the room needed to hold the audience for the talks the costs could be bumped up quite a bit.

Keith

I am in a state of shock everyone is actualy in favour no one against well rock my boat :lol: . Depending where and when I would be intrested :D .

Dan

I'm in.

....in spite of several well known ne'r-do-wells also attending. :P

Oi, Hartley! I resemble that remark! "Ne'r-do-wells" indeed!

Just promise me that both the Hartley twins won't be attending this time.

:lol:

I am glad to see your post, Ken.

I had presumed he meant me.....

Bruce

Anyone else interested? I just want to make sure we'll have enough room!

Thanks

Alan

Alan

subject to date venue etc Im in - would need to be accessible by public transport as I dont drive

Chris

Chris

I'm sure a pick up from a station or bus station could be arranged.

Keith

I'd like to thank everyone who has replied - I need to add up the numbers from this thread and then move things forward. The next step (I think) will be the date/venue combination - as I've said before it will likely be in the Spring, in the Midlands. My intention is, from this weekend onwards, to contact a variety of hotels and conference centres and see what they can offer, at a sensible price. Once I've got a few solid possibilities, I might ask pals local to the area to have a look and see if what they are offering looks OK.

Then it will be deposit time - but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. After that, I'll start approaching speakers - as I've mentioned before, if anyone has any ideas, or wants to offer themselves up, please drop me a PM. I'll try to be attentive to the various suggestions that have been made in the thread, but it will be impossible to please everybody. Hopefully most of you though....

Alan

but it will be impossible to please everybody. Hopefully most of you though....

Alan,

If you could manage to please just half of them, I would be very impressed :lol:

This is the forum that spent weeks disagreeing about a tiny little badge :o

See you in the Spring

Grant

You are very brave taking this on - the best of luck to you!

Parking in Nottingham itself is an expensive nightmare and its one-way system that's allied to the trams is mind-boggling. There are very good park-and-ride facilities but the buses don't always run late so that might mean the proposed post-Conference meal could be out for quite a few of us. The same would be largely true of Derby city-centre.

As a starting point, I think we should be looking at venues that are away from town-centres so that parking will be easily available at or near the venue and cheap if not free. That would be particularly important for anyone bringing stuff for exhibition or sale, when P&R is a non-starter.

Keith

I have to agree with Keith on that.

I'm not a participant in this but -

the University of Warwick conference centre (which is actually on the outskirts of Coventry) is good. I haven't any idea about its rates or whether they have minimum group sizes.

I would agree with Keith that especially to anyone unfamiliar with Nottingham the traffic problems are appalling.

Gwyn

They're not very thrilling when you do know the place, Gwyn! I studied at what was then Trent Polytechnic in the early seventies and parking was cheap and easy. Now I wouldn't dream of taking a vehicle, even my motorbike, into the middle if I had the slightest alternative. When we have the E Mids meet in a month's time I'll be using P&R.

Keith