Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian Forestry Corps

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Guest Ian Bowbrick

I have, or rather my wife owns, a copy of the 'Historical Record of the No. 54 District Canadian Forestry Corps 1916-1919'. This covers the activities of the following Coys: 103, 104, 105, 114, 118 & 137, 125, & 134.

This booklet was presented to the better half's great-aunt who served with the Corps in some capacity.

Probably of little interest to many in this country, but an interesting insight into a little known part of WW1.

Ian B)

• 2 months later...

Ian, can you describe this booklet in further detail, and whether it contains any photos or maps? How many pages, etc? I take it from the 54 District that is for companies serving in Britain during the war?

Thanks, Peter.

• 11 months later...

Ian

I had forgotten about this faascinating booklet.

Sometime in the future I hope I will have an opportunity to have a look at it - perhaps on a visit to the big city!

Sorry to jump in here just to rehash old information, but if any Forestry Corps afficionadoes out there have not seen them, there are a couple of "autochrome" colour photographs at a French governmental web site. The addresses are:

http://www.culture.gouv.fr/Wave/image/memo..._cvl00290_p.jpg

http://www.culture.gouv.fr/Wave/image/memo..._cvl00291_p.jpg

The captions are just " Quesmy Oise - Canadian foresters 1917" or somesuch.

Presumably this would be the 55th Forestry Company who I believe were at that location from about August or September of 1917.

Once again I apologize for wasting bandwidth.

Guest Ian Bowbrick
Ian

I had forgotten about this faascinating booklet.

Sometime in the future I hope I will have an opportunity to have a look at it - perhaps on a visit to the big city!

Ivor,

Let me see if I can copy it.

Ian :)