Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Same soldier, different units? 1911 - 1918

Cavair

I have been looking for a great uncle Richard Nightingale BANKS in the 1911 census and post war.

We know he served in the 9th Battn (cyclist) Hampshire regt TA. 1916-1918 and was in Reading hospital in 1918 after coming home from service in India. (medal roll card)

But then he disappears till he was informant of his fathers death in 1922. Later his wife and son were at funeral of his brother in law in 1937 (from obituary, but only initials) but there is no trace of him in marriage or death indexes of his full name. We are now presuming that he dropped his 2nd name or went abroad after the war.

I have found a man of same name and DoB (b1885) IN 1911 in Coldstream Guards at Hartley Wintney, though it does not include his 2nd name. It states he was born Burnley, while The FreeBMD has no one born there 1884-86, only other Lancs places. R N BANKS was born Chorlton, Lancs.

Is it at all possible they are the same man? could he have transferred or left Guards then rejoined when war came??

any ideas or help!!?

Richard

I have found this on the National Archives website.

Medal card of Banks, Richard N

Corps Regiment No Rank

Hampshire Regiment 39882 Private

Richard,

39882 Richard Nightingale Banks was entitled to a British War Medal so he only served on garrison duties in India with 1/9th Hants and did not enter a theatre of war.

He transferred from 35th Training Reserve Battalion (See here for further details) to Hampshire Regiment TF (Territorial Force) circa late June 1917.

Reported as sick (severe) and at Reading War Hospital 27/09/1918.

Unfortunately, I can't shed light on any other aspect of your enquiry.

Marc

Have you seen this "The Guards regiments maintained a separate set of records and these are accessible via the Archivists of those regiments, all of whom can be contacted at the respective regimental headquarters at Wellington Barracks, Birdcage Walk, London SW1E 6HQ. Some require payment for supplying a copy, others invite a donation. In all cases, you should at first write, asking for a copy of the form that the regimental archivist requires in order to carry out a search. "

http://www.1914-1918.net/grandad/records.htm

I'd be surprised if the BANKS in the Coldstream Guards was the same as the one in the 9th Battn (cyclist) Hampshire regt TA; unless he was no longer fit for service. As a pre war regular or reservist I'd have expected him to have had a more active war. If he was born in 1885, he was 29 in 1914 - prime military age.

Richard,

You don't seem too sure of the birth place. Maybe these are part of the family. I would assume he dropped the N, unless proved otherwise. If he has not then thats a bonus.

Deaths after 1937 are few and far between on FBMD. In fact from 1932 you have to be lucky.

The final entry for Lilian I with birth in W.Ham may be a red Herring, or maybe not.

Sept 1885 Banks Richard Nightingale Chorlton 8c 769. Can't really mistake that name.

Son of Richard Nightingale Banks married Mar 1883. Chorlton. 8c 789

Probably married Roach Annie Chorlton 8c 1956. Sep 1913.

Surname First name(s) Mother District Vol Page

Births Mar 1914 Banks Richard Roach Chorlton 8c 1748

Births Jun 1916 Banks John E Roach Chorlton 8c 1432

Births Sep 1919 Banks Florence Roach Chorlton 8c 1333

Births Jun 1923 Banks Hilda Roach Chorlton 8c 1364

Births Jun 1925 BANKS Lilian I Roach W.Ham 4a 173

Alan

Thanks for replying everyone.

Yes, Richard was born Chorlton, but the details in the obituary for 1937 were listed as "Mrs Banks and N Banks (nephew)" i.e at my maternal grandfathers funeral. My gran had 2 brothers, Richard & Roland - Roland died in 1916, so the wife and nephew must have been Richards. However tho i have tried some cross referencing from marriages and births, there doesnt seem to be a N Banks (from FreeBMD) born to Annie Banks (nee Roach) unless of course the paper obituary got the initial wrong.

My original query about the 1911 census soldier was because the Guardsman was listed as born Burnley, which is a distance from Chorlton. Thats why i wondered what chance he could be the same person as the soldier in Hampshires in 1918. i.e. my Richard. Could he have come out of Guards, married Annie back in Chorlton then joined up during the war.

First of all i shall have to try the marriage cert of Richard & Annie Roach, and see if his father is Richard! But their children dont have a "N" name to match the obituary, IF that is correct!!

Thanks again.

Richard,

You don't seem too sure of the birth place. Maybe these are part of the family. I would assume he dropped the N, unless proved otherwise. If he has not then thats a bonus.

Deaths after 1937 are few and far between on FBMD. In fact from 1932 you have to be lucky.

The final entry for Lilian I with birth in W.Ham may be a red Herring, or maybe not.

Sept 1885 Banks Richard Nightingale Chorlton 8c 769. Can't really mistake that name.

Son of Richard Nightingale Banks married Mar 1883. Chorlton. 8c 789

Probably married Roach Annie Chorlton 8c 1956. Sep 1913.

Surname First name(s) Mother District Vol Page

Births Mar 1914 Banks Richard Roach Chorlton 8c 1748

Births Jun 1916 Banks John E Roach Chorlton 8c 1432

Births Sep 1919 Banks Florence Roach Chorlton 8c 1333

Births Jun 1923 Banks Hilda Roach Chorlton 8c 1364

Births Jun 1925 BANKS Lilian I Roach W.Ham 4a 173

Alan