Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Charles Boleyre-Smedley

marine pete

Looking for this Officer Lt Charles Boleyre-Smedley Not on CWGC or SDGW

on his Medal index card Deceased12 December 1920 Theatre of war France 25th sept 1915 8th Battalion South Lancashire Regiment Temp Lt. he was a 2Lt in the Machine gun corps. Wife or son of Mrs A.B.Smedley 68 Tudor Road Hampton. His 1914/15 Star ( forwarded on behalf of his widow 16/1/1919 ? date ) their is also an address Crown Cottage Witheral Carlisle .

Regards Peter.

Looking for this Officer Lt Charles Boleyre-Smedley Not on CWGC or SDGW

on his Medal index card Deceased12 December 1920 Theatre of war France 25th sept 1915 8th Battalion South Lancashire Regiment Temp Lt. he was a 2Lt in the Machine gun corps. Wife or son of Mrs A.B.Smedley 68 Tudor Road Hampton. His 1914/15 Star ( forwarded on behalf of his widow 16/1/1919 ? date ) their is also an address Crown Cottage Witheral Carlisle .

Regards Peter.

Stil Looking for help with this one Regards Peter

Peter

I have had a look at his MIC and his middle name is spelt 'Boleyne'. If you search for this middle name in the London Gazette for WWI you'll get six hits all about him. However I haven't managed to find anything else about him.

Aled

Peter

I have had a look at his MIC and his middle name is spelt 'Boleyne'. If you search for this middle name in the London Gazette for WWI you'll get six hits all about him. However I haven't managed to find anything else about him.

Aled

Aled Thank you for the Information Best Regards Peter.

Born June Qtr 1893 Spitalfields. Son of George Smedley and Caroline Eliza Smedley (nee Gambardella)

Died March Qtr 1920 Kingston RD (aged 26) 2a 582

Married Sept Qtr 1917 Grantham RD Aimie Blain-Relph

Son born Sept Qtr 1919 Kingston RD George R. R. Boleyne-Smedley

1919 parents lived at Nutley, Spencer Road, Bournemouth

Pam

Born June Qtr 1893 Spitalfields. Son of George Smedley and Caroline Eliza Smedley (nee Gambardella)

Died March Qtr 1920 Kingston RD (aged 26) 2a 582

Married Sept Qtr 1917 Grantham RD Aimie Blain-Relph

Son born Sept Qtr 1919 Kingston RD George R. R. Boleyne-Smedley

1919 parents lived at Nutley, Spencer Road, Bournemouth

Pam

Thank you Pam Regards Peter.

The LG entry in March 1918 is interesting in that it states

"Temp. Lt. C. Boleyne-Smedley reqlinquishes his commission on account of ill-health contracted on active service, and is granted the hon. rank of Lt. (March 29).

Probably need to get the death certificate to see if the cause of death was linked to this.

I can't immediately see any reference to him in the history of the South Lancs., although he is on the 1916 Army List serving with the 8th

post-1356-1245660341.jpg

The LG entry in March 1918 is interesting in that it states

"Temp. Lt. C. Boleyne-Smedley reqlinquishes his commission on account of ill-health contracted on active service, and is granted the hon. rank of Lt. (March 29).

Probably need to get the death certificate to see if the cause of death was linked to this.

I can't immediately see any reference to him in the history of the South Lancs., although he is on the 1916 Army List serving with the 8th

Thank you Stephen Best Regards Peter.

• 12 years later...

Hi, I have stumbled across this whilst looking into my Great-grandfather, Charles Boleyne Smedley’s life. He died so soon after his son was born, which is desperately sad.

The death certificate states he died of a cerebral haemorrhage and his wife Aimee Blain Smedley (nee Relph) was present at the death. I have found his grave in Surbiton which is unmarked at the moment. 

What I would like to identify is what happened to him in the war, what his injuries were and how he ended up dead only 14 months later. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Simon. 

• 4 months later...

Hi

Hoping this thread is still active,

He is on the Burton Grammar School War Memorial, their papers record

"8th South Lancs, attached M,G,C, Served in France for 2 years. Invalided out in 1918 due to trench fever and gas. Died January 1920."

Also a Burton Old Boys Magazine records, (conflicting data, however),

"C.B.(“Chips”) Smedley (1905-11) became a teacher, then a lieutenant in the N.Lancs.
Regiment, died of wounds 1919,

Regards,

Graeme

Edited by GraemeClarke